AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Offline sales

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Offline sales Reply with quote

How do people here approach selling their products offline?
Toon
Executive
Executive

319 ants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of my offline selling would be leads from the website anyway. Other than that it's usually to friends and family. If a customer calls me up, I simply take their order and payment details and send it in exactly the same way as if they had ordered it online.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you don't ever send letters off or phone people up?
DCrx
Executive PA
Executive PA

97 ants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a variety of ways to go. I've sent direct mail, card decks, and so on to generate inquiries and sales. This is usually a multistep process. Another way is to rent a mailing list (physical addresses). A skilled list broker -- and detecting the traits of a skilled broker -- is a key here.

A lot of people have determined "mail doesn't work for my business" when all they've really proven is seriously flawed mail or print campaigns don't work. But, like the web, these are fairly easy skills to pick up. Perfecting and improving them is more a process than instant results.

You don't have to be a copy genius, just have a fair idea of testing. I''ve gotten 408% better results from one sales letter to another changing just the headline. You can test several leverage points over the course of a campaign. You can mix media, like a letter with follow-up call, then another letter, then e-mail.

Doing this consistently you can increase sales quiite a bit. Considering media, sequence and list, you find yourself thinking about what is going on in the reader's mind. You want to do limited testing to prove out a successful sequence at low cost, then you ramp up. People are enamored with the web because of the hype that it's "free." But there are a lot of companies who haven't given up on physical media. My last check was Dell still used mailings and huge paid ads. The web-only crowd points to the web site of companies like this and conveniently neglect the 10 million dollars in physical media creating much of that traffic.

What's a good approach if you sell computer based products and/or services?

My big revelation, after really doing poorly with some ideas I had, was what I call the IBM approach. Back then IBM was running an entire campaign supported with about $40 million if I recall correctly. The one ad I remember is two executives. One talks about the new network, using just abot every buzzword in the book. You know, networked economy ...knowledge work ...all the blah, blah, blah. Then the CEO-type says, "Then why am I looking at an email from Chris in our Denver office informing me she's seilling puppies?"

In other words people are more than a little fed up with "solutions" that aren't. And irked at big words covering up little ideas.

IBM doesn't go after micro-niches. Ads of this general approach have been on print and TV. When I tried a variation of this in sales letters, my response rates went up over four times above and beyond any other idea I tried.
Fanm01
Secretary
Secretary

14 ants

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive seen a few pre-writen letters. They were categorized by like "cold greeting" "warm greeting" "welcome to company" basically its like a chain of letters you can copy to your computer and change the contact info to match you, but they were really well written and professional

Does anyone know of a site that has alot of these types of "pre made" marketing ads and letters? I need stuff that sounds good.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum