AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QuickBooks utilities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Computing Issues Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: QuickBooks utilities Reply with quote

QuickBooks is one of the most popular accounting software, so many of you may know about this software. There are utilities you can use to work with QuickBooks like QuickBooks Timer, but I dont know them well. Does anyone here use QuickBooks utilities? If so, what do you use? How do you use it? On desktop? On the web? Id like to take a look at all these utilities and it would be great if you can name these and tell me where I can find them.

Thanks.
stephen
Executive
Executive

120 ants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I used the Quickbooks timer, I left with the impression that it hadn't been updated for decades!!

Depending on what you need to do, and how 'under the hood' you want to get, the QODBC tool is excellent (www.qodbc.com), but you'll need to be happy cutting code. The alternative Quickbooks SDK is only really supported in the US and Canada (and I think now to some extent Australia), and whilst you can make it work in the UK and other countries, it frankly isn't worth the hassle when QODBC makes life much easier.

Whilst I haven't used their web based version, it is something I will be looking at shortly for web based integration with facilities such as time sheets, job logging etc. - that might be something you'd like to investigate.

Hope this helps,
Steve.
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QODBC looks like exactly what I want. Thank you.

Now a question; is there any MS Access DB application that works kind of like QuickBooks Timer?
Quote:

Whilst I haven't used their web based version, it is something I will be looking at shortly for web based integration with facilities such as time sheets, job logging etc. - that might be something you'd like to investigate.

Another question; how you taken a look in this ncubed? If so, is this something we can make it to work with QuickBooks?
stephen
Executive
Executive

120 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I don't know of any alternative Timer products that integrate with Quickbooks, but if you are up to writing code to get QODBC to integrate with Quickbooks, writing a small utility to do the same job should be trivial.

As for ncubed, I haven't seen it before, but whilst it looks good, it seems to be standalone (i.e. not integrated with Quickbooks).

Again, if you're up for writing code with QODBC, creating a web-based invoicing system should be trivial - at least I hope so as I need to write one fairly shortly!!

Sorry I can't be more help. You might want to check out ncubed's news groups or Source Forge (though a cursory glance didn't show anything immediately obvious).

One final thing - be aware that if you're planning on distributing any tools (to clients and so forth), you need a QODBC licence for each installation - fortunately the developer agreements give significant discounts!

Steve
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

One final thing - be aware that if you're planning on distributing any tools (to clients and so forth), you need a QODBC license for each installation - fortunately the developer agreements give significant discounts!

Just to clarify

Q1. Is it free to download it and use it for personal use and also for development?

Q2. We need the license only when we redistribute the custom software using QODBC, right?
stephen
Executive
Executive

120 ants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - the read only version is free, but of little use other than proof of concept. You'll get a splash screen appear whenever you connect, can only access certain tables, and can't write to anything.

You need to purchase your own license for development; you can then purchase subsequent licences for resale. Give them a call and they'll go through it with you.
http://www.qodbc.com/reseller.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Computing Issues Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum