AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much does an RFID printer cost?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Computing Issues Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: How much does an RFID printer cost? Reply with quote

I'm looking into RFID in general, and I guess many RFID tags are created using RFID printers like this and this. How much does an RFID printer cost? More importantly, how much should you pay for an RFID printer?
Orion
Executive
Executive

242 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These look to be pretty much the same as a Standard Label Printer, Any Label Printer can print stickers like these. I am assuming that you want to print labels with barcodes. Depending on the type of barcode you want to print most printers will either come with software which includes the barcode font or they will have software and you should be able to download a suitable Barcode font online.

I hope this helps you out

Last edited by Orion on Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:11 am; edited 1 time in total
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I want to know about RFID printer if there is such a thing. How does it work? Would you be kind to explain how it works in general?
Orion
Executive
Executive

242 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh i am sorry i have just checked those links again and see that these printers actually use a label witha built in type of Smart Card technology. From reading those site they work via the printer coding information into a smart card type of technology. As far as i can tell all the printers on the second link you included have the ability to interface with the technology built into the labels of the first link.

To read the labels you need a reader which is compatible with the standard. For example this company has integrated a Reader/Writer for the tags into a mouse mat http://www.tekind.com/rfid/rfidmousemat.htm . The real issue you may face by using this technology though is that to be successfully used all points that they could be used needs to have a reader at least.

Which if you are using for Shipping goods may not really work well unless the Couiers are equiped with equipment that can read them. On the other hand if you want to label a large number of binders with more information in the RFID label that what is printed on it you could have a RFID mousemat like above at every computer, so when somone gets a folder and places it on the desk they will be able to get the information from the label by the proximety of the folder to the mousemat.

So to bring it back to basics, the technology used is a proximety scanner, or the label needs to be with in x distance of the reader, for my example a mouse mat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Computing Issues Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum