AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good Backup software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Computing Issues Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Dempsey
President
President

1366 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Good Backup software Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend some good free backup software that can transfer between 4-80GB of data over a network without locking up.
Orion
Executive
Executive

242 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have previously used simple batch files which just have *.* for the file name. This was for Video Editing Work In Progress Files though, so very few folders, and we just modified the script when a new project was added.

This was transfering over 200Gb of files on some days to a backup NAS unit, and we never had a problem
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you currently using and what media does it have to go to/from?

One that always gets good reviews is Karen's Powertools Replicator which is a freebie for automatic copying files between hard drives.

You should be able to transfer any amount of data over a network without lockups, although if the program is trying to build any kind of database of files that might cause trouble.

Just wondering - is there a switch or a hub directing traffic? I'm no networking guru, but from what I hear switches are much more reliable for high traffic levels as they don't broadcast to every network node which in theory might also reduce traffic collisions (a major cause of network slowness).

Trev
Mike Dempsey
President
President

1366 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a hub and I need to back up all Data off of shared folders on 2 machines over the network.

eg
\\london1\company
\\london1\data
\\london1\backup

\\london2\company
\\london2\data
\\london3\backup

however none of the software I have found allows me to select a series of folders and back them up at the same time and I also cant select \\london1 or \\london2 because they are computer names not folder names.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Computing Issues Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum