AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you use UML?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Computing Issues Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Do you use UML? Reply with quote

I just started reading some book on UML for a reason; it's a good stuff, but I wonder how many people take time to create UML diagram to work on their projects. Is anyone here using UML?
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used UML if I'm doing complex software/web development but I havn't used it in a little while.
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you use UML, do you use some software to create diagram? Also do you use UML just to create a diagram and see where you are at or you go as far as converting the diagram into a set of programs/codes?
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foundThroughAdminSig wrote:
When you use UML, do you use some software to create diagram? Also do you use UML just to create a diagram and see where you are at or you go as far as converting the diagram into a set of programs/codes?

It was a little while ago but I used a software application to help developing the UML diagrams. Whenever I used UML I used it to begin the project and draft out the classes to be used in the application and only built the application physically once it had been built logically.
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use UML in any situation in principle. You can use it in accounting. You can use it when you prepare a big party, etc. But apparently, you decided to not use UML in any project you have. How come? What are reasons why you do not use UML now?
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UML newbie question - is this UML thing a bit like Visio where you create flow diagrams of in this case software? I tried Googling for it, but theres loads of people trying to sell me books about it, a few bits of software on really badly written web sites and nothing giving the UML 101 guide.

Currently I just use PSML (Paper Sribbles Markup Language) but this UML sounds interesting for PHP stuff.

Trev
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foundThroughAdminSig wrote:
You can use UML in any situation in principle. You can use it in accounting. You can use it when you prepare a big party, etc. But apparently, you decided to not use UML in any project you have. How come? What are reasons why you do not use UML now?

I don't use it any more because I don't do any major software projects, hence my smaller web projects tend to follow a prototyping approach to development.

If I ever decided to get back into programming to do an e-commerce site or something then OO development using UML would be something I would certainly consider.

Much easier to make a mess of things on paper and sort it out logically than when you're actually coding.

Quote:
UML newbie question - is this UML thing a bit like Visio where you create flow diagrams of in this case software? I tried Googling for it, but theres loads of people trying to sell me books about it, a few bits of software on really badly written web sites and nothing giving the UML 101 guide.

http://www.uml.org/ is the official UML page although it isn't that helpful. Your best bet would be to pop down to your local library or book shop and get a book on it.
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Much easier to make a mess of things on paper and sort it out logically than when you're actually coding.

If you think thats bad, you should see some of the early code that came from the scribbles! Smile I finally managed to find one program that looked vaugely useful, but didn't give any obivious prices and mentioned "teams" and "enterprise" which normally means seriously expensive.

I'd guess it also helps if you've read a book on programming techniques rather than just work it all out as you go along?

Tried UML.org but thats currently down - I'll give it a shot later.

Cheers
Trev
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the thing with UML (at least in Britain) - it is a very expensive skill to learn. I looked into some short courses a few years ago and they were a few thousand pounds for a week long course in it.
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as UML is concerned, it's kind of pseudo code. There are rules, but it's essentially what it is (to me). Correct me if I'm wrong.

What's often associated with UML is software engineering, however. You consider every single case, draw diagram and stuff and make a very sophisticated plan. Very clear details so that, when you start writing code or start working on the execution of the project, you know exactly what to do. It's the ideal goal anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Computing Issues Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum