AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone in IT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Computing Issues Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orion
Executive
Executive

242 ants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject: Anyone in IT Reply with quote

Hi All

I have been working in IT for 4 or 5 years and more recently(Last 6 months) been working in my own business. It seems to be getting tougher and tougher each week to make a buck and the discount warehouse stores just keep driving the prices lower and lower.

Has anyone else been experiencing this?
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by "discount warehouse stores"?
Orion
Executive
Executive

242 ants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are starting to come along the big computer stores that sell everything at mere 1 or 2 % profit and survive purly on volume. Which absolutly kills any chance of the small guys 1 making money and 2 actually surviving for any length of time.
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so you are talking about hardware, right? Like selling PC and stuff?

As far as selling actual products (not services) is concerned, I don't think small business has a chance when it comes to price. What you can offer instead is added value like you can help set up customer's computer, IMO.
Alfredo
PA
PA

34 ants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should concentrate on this:

"Orion Networks offers you the difference you have been looking for with a guarantee that will save you time and effort, a range of products to suit your business or project, services that are on time, and all in terms you can understand."

not on having low prices. I think offering quality and a personalized service will give you a strong position.

At least that's what I've learned in my business life.

My two cents,

Alfredo Very Happy
Orion
Executive
Executive

242 ants

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah The Selling PC and the like. The problem with Added Value is that most of it retail customers cannot see eg If you sell a computer to them and say you will deliver and install, they just see it is somthing they expected you would do but they are still wanting it for the bargin price someone else it selling it for hench i dont like dealing with retial.

Small Businesses though tend not to be so picky on price and often appreciate you delivering and installing even if they are being charged extra for it. Which is what i try to focus on doing. The Main problem i face often though is that i am trying to focus on getting business but feel i may be focusing the wrong approach at the wrong market.
kazzyT
Temp

4 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that rather than trying to compete with the big corps on price, give your product real added value. My comany sells PCs and we were worried about this issue in the beginning too. Gaining yourself a reputation for high quality products and the "personal touch" is better than having a reputation for being cheap in my opinion.

We also offer family support contracts amongst other things so thats something for you to think about. Concerntrate on providing a service thats more personalised for the customer and push the fact you sell a quality product (if of course you do!).
Good Luck!
Mike Dempsey
President
President

1366 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My home town has a few computer stores, however the one that most IT people buy off is mainly a computer repair shop, they offer good deals because they make enough money off of computer repairs to keep overheads low and they sell a lot of computers because people know they have good fast support, instead of sending a machine off to be fixed they do it in house, for a lot cheaper than anywhere else, and they make a killing for such a small outfit.

they have a very good reputation and thats what brings a lot of people in.

on the other hand a big computer store there went under recently because they sold crap and provided piss poor customer support, even though they were cheap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Computing Issues Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum