AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opening a very large CSV file in Excel problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Computing Issues Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Opening a very large CSV file in Excel problem Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Excel 2000 can be made to cope with a tab delimited file of around 297,000 rows as it keeps stopping around 63,000?

Alternatively, is there another program out there which can cope with it just so I can remove the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 8th columns as I don't need that data.

It's just the file is currently 50 Megs and I don't really fancy parsing that with PHP on the server (unless we get a superdeluxe Dual Xeon), but I figured maybe a quick local app. might have more chance before I upload.

Cheers
Trev
BernardErtl
President
President

11 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be easy enough to build a quick custom app to do that. I'd be happy to help you out for a reasonable fee Shocked

A quick search for freeware on the 'net leads to a possibility:

http://www.dirfile.com/exportizer.htm
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How nice Bernard, offering to do it for free... Wink

That program looks like it might do the job as getting to finance director to actually open the company safe tends to take a while... Smile Also I only really need to do it maybe 4 times a year (not planning on uploading this file too often anyway).

Trev
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HR dept. has received an objection to my alleged claims that the finances dept. never releases the company credit card for my disposal.

Therefore I should perhaps qualify this by stating that the money/goods requested amounted to an admittidly risky, but I'm sure worthwhile investment of several Celeron or P4 servers which I'm sure put us up there with MSN & Yahoo giving Google a hard time by using its own clustering idea against it.

I would be grateful however if someone would point out that most people who are now stinking rich have been bankrupt at one time in the past and so paying 20K for new servers that never make any money should be seen as an excellent investment opportunity.

Very Happy

Trev

PS: The above statement of course has absolutely nothing to do with me not having banked by pay cheque yet... Wink

PPS: Can you tell it's Friday afternoon in the UK?
BernardErtl
President
President

11 ants

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... spend 20K for new servers to solve a problem that could be worked out with about 2 hours of custom programming for a fraction of the cost... Good work! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Computing Issues Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum