AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Domain name forwarding refusal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PositiveProgress
Executive PA
Executive PA

55 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Domain name forwarding refusal Reply with quote

Hi,
Can anyone think of a plausible reason why a hosting provider would refuse to point some domains (all purchased through them and hosted by them) at one particular website (again, hosted by them)?

I have a client who has just revamped his website and has bought domains which reflect common mis-spelling of his company name - he wants them all to point to the one website (quite understandable). His current host is refusing to do it, suggesting instead that he uploads the same site to the five different domains. I think this is crazy and try as I might, I can't think of a good explanation for their refusal.

Before we make arrangements to move the whole lot to a provider who can carry out this task (it doesn't appear too difficult from where I'm sitting) Does anybody know of a good reason why such a simple request can't be carried out?

Thanks, and merry christmas,
Al
http://www.positiveprogress.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Domain name forwarding refusal Reply with quote

PositiveProgress wrote:
Can anyone think of a plausible reason why a hosting provider would refuse to point some domains (all purchased through them and hosted by them) at one particular website (again, hosted by them)?

Errrm.... laziness?

Paul
Old Welsh Guy
President
President

2041 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point them to a folder, and drop a 301 redirect into the htaccess file. (assuming it is apache). Then when a mistype occurs they will be seamlessly transferred.

Code:
Redirect 301 / http://www.yourdomain.com/

Oh and if your moving hosting be very carefull to do it right, as the search engines dont log domain name urls, they log IP based urls, so it is not as simple as just changing hosting providers and uploading the pages to the new server.

OWG
PositiveProgress
Executive PA
Executive PA

55 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!

Thanks guys.

Al
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total incompetance to be honest - if they can't do something as simple as that then they've got no chance of hosting a web site reliably. Who's the hosting company out of interest?

Trev
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Domain name forwarding refusal Reply with quote

PositiveProgress wrote:
Before we make arrangements to move the whole lot to a provider who can carry out this task (it doesn't appear too difficult from where I'm sitting) Does anybody know of a good reason why such a simple request can't be carried out?

Thanks, and merry christmas,
Al

One thing that I often hear from my host company is "Such and such is considered to be administrative work, so we need to charge you." I think that this is ridiculous (in most cases). My expectation is that they are professionals and they know what they're doing. Subsequently, it should only take a minute or three to do what I request (in most cases). I'm already paying host fee, and why would I need to pay additionally when I make a very very simply request?
PositiveProgress
Executive PA
Executive PA

55 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: the latest Reply with quote

Just to bring you up to speed on this guys. The latest excuse for not forwarding domains is now "we have a no forwarding policy, because we don't have enough IP addresses".

Now, I know there's a shortage of IP addresses in the world, but none of the hosting companies I've ever dealt with have tried that one on me before.

It sounds like rubbish to me, but then I run out of technical knowledge frighteningly easily. Is it rubbish?

Domains are getting moved anyway...

Al
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: the latest Reply with quote

PositiveProgress wrote:
Just to bring you up to speed on this guys. The latest excuse for not forwarding domains is now "we have a no forwarding policy, because we don't have enough IP addresses".

Al

IP address has nothing to do with forwarding.
3Cell
Executive PA
Executive PA

46 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially I would say your host is being greedy and hoping for extra site fees. Forwarding is so easy and no problem to achieve.

The only forwarding problems I or my clients experience is when the larger uk companies with cheap domain names use an automated interface that defies all normal practices and refuses to update the DNS data. This means you then have to call their 50p a minute support line to sort it out!

I'll get off my soapbox now Embarassed

David
PositiveProgress
Executive PA
Executive PA

55 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, appreciate the insight.

I'll go and deliver the coup de grace this morning!

Al
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum