AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Those of you who run hosting business ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Those of you who run hosting business ... Reply with quote

Those of you who run hosting business, did you acquire skills needed to run your business before you started (like system administration, etc.) or you kind of learned while you run your business?
Mar
Executive PA
Executive PA

44 ants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: I hope others add to this thread :) Reply with quote

It would be really interesting to see some other replies to this one :O -

Some time ago, I bought a cheap and cheerful reseller account with dayanahost.com - just to get the experience of running a reseller hosting account. After I got some confidence, I went on to different resellers who offered features which suited me better.

My thoughts on this are that a good reseller account has great server support system which means that you can concentrate on finding new clients and on the admin of the hosting business. As hosting clients drop in and out of your system, keeping a good track of them is important.

Best wishes
Margaret
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How commission can you earn from reseller accounts?
jonksharpe
Secretary
Secretary

34 ants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as i can tell, with reseller accounts you pay for use of the server. You pay a price depending on how much space you require. Then you can decide how many accounts you wish to host and how much space is allocated to each account. You can also set your own prices and keep all of the money above and beyond what you pay for the space on the server.

check out http://www.123reseller.co.uk/
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, but if tech supports screw up, you'll need to be responsible to all your customers, right?
openmind
Executive PA
Executive PA

73 ants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep you got it. But then you resell elsewhere Wink

I started off as a reseller and as such was directly reponsible for providing support to my hosting clients. If they had a problem which I couldn't resolve I went to the host.

Beofre I made the jump to a dedicated server I spent a good 3 months running a cheap dedicated server with dummy accounts on it and ploughed my way through several books until I was 110% confident about running my own dedicated server for paying clients.

Many hosts simply jump in at the deep end with a cheap box, fill it with clients and then move on when it all goes tits up. I've seen and heard it time and time again about "kiddie" hosts who run a "hosting business" after school and the customers always lose out.

Thats precisely the reason why I made sure I was in a position to be able to take peoples money and not let them down.
"The Internet company with an Open Mind"
Mr. Tech
Executive PA
Executive PA

73 ants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are wanting to start a hosting company I suggest you test the waters first.

Sign up to a reseller (I can reccomend this shared reseller http://www.hostdime.com and this VPS reseller http://www.servint.com/vps/) hosting account and see if you like it. See if you can get some clients.

Signing up as a reseller is a great option for those who don't know how to run a server because you can get free support.

Then when you have either learn't or hired someone to setup a server you can have a good idea on what needs to be done to run a hosting company.
Web Designers Australia
NS-Addict
Secretary
Secretary

18 ants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have been in the hosting business for a few years now and I must say that, you think you are prepared for every situation when your start up, but I can guarantee you there will be a situation you are not prepared for, it always happens. You can only do your best.

We at NetspaceOnline.net have a number of reseller and personal hosting clients. Now reseller does not always mean website hosting reselling, a client can purchase a reseller account if he/she wants to either re-sell hosting services or wishes to take advantage of the multi-domain hosting which comes with most reseller accounts.

With reseller accounts you pay for shared use of a server (storage & bandwidth). Most resellers allow you to be your own hosting entity, by this I mean the host providing the reseller service remains transparent, by providing private name servers etc. This will allow you to set your own prices and take 100% of the profits you make.

Now when it comes to technical support, that is your department, you are responsible for your own clients, however if there is an issue that you cannot figure out or need some help, generally most hosts are glad to help.

The most important aspect of support is response times, just make sure your host is reliable and has a good server uptime.

I would definitely recommend trying out a host before you jump right into the deep end.

One word of warning although dedicated servers are good because you have a complete server too yourself, but be careful because it generally comes with a lot more maintenance and technical knowledge. If dedicated is the route you wish to take I would go for managed dedicated servers.

Good Luck
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
talkman
Temp

2 ants

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run my on web hosting business and believe me its harder than it looks. First of all you have to differentiate yourself from your competitors. You have to offer something different from lots of web host.

you also have to have patience.
brownmouse
Vice President
Vice President

271 ants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't run a hosting company, I don't need to as my company works closely with a hosting company who have their own data centre. Not rented dedicated servers from a data centre, but actually have their own data centre.

Before we found one another though I'd used a few hosting companies to store web sites on and found that a lot of hosting companies who have simply rented a dedicated server from a data centre have no experience in what they're doing. They learn on the job, and when things go wrong (which let's face it, it's computers, they always go wrong), they get stuck.

It's a worrying thing to see the person running your hosting appear on forums asking basic hosting related questions, or telling you they don't know why something is doing whatever it is it shouldn't.

The problem is that it's too easy to buy a reseller account, or rent a server, and pretend you're this big all-powerful hosting company. You're not, don't pretend to be. Learn what you're doing first, then put it into practice. The web business is unfortunately full of people who start up a hosting, ecommerce or design companies without skills or experience, then spin a bundle of lies to clients... this needs to be stamped out because the proliferation of poorly built sites on poorly managed hosting is holding the Internet back.

</rant>
59ideas
Secretary
Secretary

8 ants

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brownmouse wrote:
The web business is unfortunately full of people who start up a hosting, ecommerce or design companies without skills or experience, then spin a bundle of lies to clients... this needs to be stamped out because the proliferation of poorly built sites on poorly managed hosting is holding the Internet back.
</rant>

And how do you do that?

Let's face it. The webhosting companies are encouraging it because reselling drives their sales. Help people make money and make money in the process.

I came from a learn by experience background and I know how important it is to gain customers' confidence and how invaluable a chance is. So I give people chance whenever I can.
bluelight
Vice President
Vice President

431 ants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

59ideas wrote:
brownmouse wrote:
The web business is unfortunately full of people who start up a hosting, ecommerce or design companies without skills or experience, then spin a bundle of lies to clients... this needs to be stamped out because the proliferation of poorly built sites on poorly managed hosting is holding the Internet back.
</rant>

And how do you do that?

Let's face it. The webhosting companies are encouraging it because reselling drives their sales. Help people make money and make money in the process.

I came from a learn by experience background and I know how important it is to gain customers' confidence and how invaluable a chance is. So I give people chance whenever I can.

hello
I am happy to say that I came from the hard school of knock and learned on my own and many hours trying to learn. Try and it does not work, try something else. Most people today do not want to spend the time learning and then doing ...they all want to just go for it. That is dangerous and it is not good business for the long term.
Larry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum