AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Providing a service and consumer rights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Law & Insurance Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jombob
Secretary
Secretary

10 ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Providing a service and consumer rights Reply with quote

Hi all,

I run a small computer repair and networking company in the uk, i occasionally get customers call back after a visit to, for example, install wireless internet, saying that it isnt working. Thinking that i havent done a decent job i go out straigtaway to sort it. It turns out that they have decided to rearrange everything i did therefore resulting in no internet connection.

My question is this, if i go out and do a job , i then leave with it, as far as i and the customer can see, working. What guarantee can i give to cover myself when it comes to charging the customer again if the problem was their fault? without it violating any consumer rights.

My idea was to have a 30 day guarantee, which is void if the customer makes any changes themselves, even in a attempt to fix it themselves. Can i do this? Is there a better way? How do the big boys (PCWorld) deal with this?

Any advice would be appreciated.
The Mediator
Temp

5 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are on the right lines. You have no obligation to return and refix. I would have a form which the customer should sign to say they are satisfied the system is working and that you are not responsible should the make any changes.
www.TheMediationRoom.com
'See You Out Of Court!'
jombob
Secretary
Secretary

10 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mediator wrote:
You are on the right lines. You have no obligation to return and refix. I would have a form which the customer should sign to say they are satisfied the system is working and that you are not responsible should the make any changes.

Thanks for the reply...

How would i go about wording it? Is there someone that could possibly do this for me?
The Mediator
Temp

5 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Name:
Address:

I confirm that (your name/company name) set up today a wireless network at my above address which connected online to the internet and performed correctly in accordance with my requirements. I understand that network coverage can vary around the home and that moving or changing the equipment and/or connected items, or making adjustments to the software and/or the settings can cause disruption to the network and/or connection which is my responsibility and outside of any guarantee of workmanship that may have been offered.

Signed:
Date: "

The above is a purely factual statement and will amount to evidence of satisfactory installation in the event of later dispute. Obviously you should take the customer throgh the connection and show how to log off and connect back in.

I cannot give you the guarantee wording since for that you need to have a solicitor in practice who will be accountable for the product. The guarantee will form part of your terms and conditions which you must have in any event,

We run a panel of over 120 firms of solicitors around the country who can act using a secure private forum at www.TheSolicitorsRoom.com
www.TheMediationRoom.com
'See You Out Of Court!'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Law & Insurance Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum