AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Data protection act - buying Thompson Directory information?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Law & Insurance Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Data protection act - buying Thompson Directory information? Reply with quote

This question came up earlier in our office of whether it's totally legal to be able to buy data from say Thompson Directories or similar if the business concerned hasn't granted permission or even signed something to join, which we're assuming is the case with doctors, vets etc. on freebie listings?

From what I remember of it, if we were Thompson we couldn't sell the data usually unless someone had ticked the "I want to receive related information" box, like you get on many forms - correct?

However if again we were Thompson and we'd collected the data ourselves from various public sources, then could we then resell that as a collection of publically available data since we'd have copyright on the collection as a whole?

It's a long time since I read the stuff we got in college and it may have changed since that was about 9 years ago.

Trev
PS: Not saying they are doing anything wrong as I'm sure they have it worked out legally, but I'm interested to clarify what exactly is and isn't allowed these days.
webitalia2005
Vice President
Vice President

324 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Itlay they could, because it's already public information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Law & Insurance Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum