AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PR genius or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: PR genius or not? Reply with quote

Have a read of http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8037728.stm

You've possibly already heard about 'the best job in the world'. I know I've seen it doing the internet rounds on a few occasions.

But is it really good PR? Hats off to them for getting so much publicity but part of me kind of agrees with the first commenter below the article who writes:

Quote:
Sure, all the attention is great. But I don't see it driving new business. I've followed and been interested in this story, but no way is it going to make me fly halfway around the world. I can't imagine I'm the only foreign tourist who feels this way.

Do you regard it as a PR success or not?

And what are the PR successes from the past that most stick in your mind?
iamjohns
Secretary
Secretary

20 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i consider it a success , it has made an affect on many from my perspective
matthew2
Temp

4 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a definitive success. Bear in mind this campaign gots lots of free publicity on the back of hardworking individuals who wanted the job. Many of the candidates sucessfully managed to get on national tv and radio. It would cost thousands if not millions to get the world wide coverage they managed.

As for the commenter, he may not have wanted to go around the world to visit but it made them aware of the island as a tourist destination. There are plenty of people who as a result of the campaign review the island and Queensland as their next holiday destination.

Besides tourism sales to the Hamilton Island since the campaign have doubled. That's an impressive result.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthew2 wrote:
It's a definitive success.

Do you have figures to back up that claim?

I'm not saying it's not... I just don't see how you can make such a definitive conclusion on a whim rather than actual evidence.
matthew2
Temp

4 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, it was featured on a BBC documentary last night, the BBC said towards the end that according to Queensland Australia the campaign had helped doubled tourism sales to the region. The documentary is rather quite interesting - bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00ljpt0/The_Best_Job_in_the_World/
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the show on this last night. They mentioned it had generated several million in press coverage, far in excess of the cost of running the campaign.
Leadership Expert
Executive PA
Executive PA

56 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I this this comment from the above page says it all :

"So it's the equivalent of a $70 million media buy apparently?. How precisely? PR firms are notorious for over inflating the equivalent media spend and overlooking such factors as agency discounts in the purchasing cycle, and the removal of a call to action in the creative placement. Prior to this article how many people would know the campaign was promoting Queensland? In addition how will the campaign attribute a return on investment for visitors to Queensland as a direct result of the PR activity when there's already a significant ad spend towards promoting Australia as a tourist destination? Obviously I could be wrong, so to highlight the continuing success of the campaign - I wonder if the PR firm will make known the number of unique users that visit Ben Southall's blog over the next 12 months?"
tpowell
Secretary
Secretary

11 ants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that it was a global, interactive competition will have led many to research into the competition they were entering. Even if a person didn't win the competition, they may now have the taste for visiting the island after seeing the dream vision in their head.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum