AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keeping users coming back for more

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Internet Issues Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
accala
PA
PA

42 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Keeping users coming back for more Reply with quote

As my website is going live soon, I am looking into adding extra features that are interactive and that will keep users coming back to check the site again and again.

I would love everyone's opinions on feautures to add to the site, i was thinking of perhaps a forum/message board relevant to the site content, a chat section, webmail or games??? Any suggestions of what works and what is popular or what drives users away?

Thanks loads.

Plus, latest news and local features posted every day- post your comments on each article! Have your say on www.accala.com
Still Waters
Executive
Executive

190 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Keeping users coming back for more Reply with quote

I think you're on the right track, finding something that will draw sustained attention to your site. Something that will hopefully inspire people to bookmark your site and even refer other people to it.

For example, we run a life insurance brokerage. So, we're building a database of case studies, taken from our client files, covering a wide range of underwriting conditions that affect life insurance quotes in the US. This will be in addition to a wide range of consumer information articles on the topic of life insurance (also in process of building).

Please feel free to view our work in progress, as it may give you some ideas for content and layout in your own business area (please see our URL in signature). I'll be watching this thread, to see others' ideas too. Can't have too many good ideas! Very Happy
stephen
Executive
Executive

120 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: thoughts Reply with quote

i think 'still waters' is on the rights line with their case studies. the problem i think with games and such like is that is people want games, they'll go to a games site. wanting people to keep coming back to your site is all very well, but you want the right sort of people coming back!

so, i think its relevant content that makes the difference. something that is appropriate to your site. your ideas about forums and interactive relevant content are definitely more powerful than webmail or games.
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't try webmail; tough to run, tough to maintain and competitions are really strong(Yahoo, MSN, etc).

Forum is a good choice; though it requires a lot of attention, you don't have to be there 24/7. Chat requires 24/7 attention, so if you are running a midsize or smaller company, then it's tough to host chartroom.
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of anything off hand, but I would say keep it relevent to the site as that way you'll get the types of visitors you really want, ie: those interested in the content.

I suppose if you had a latest updates section maybe for things like XYZ nightclub is having an all 80's night on Thursday 11th July for example that might get people to come back more.

As mentioned a message board can be a good way to get people into a site and keep them coming back, but they are a fair bit of work to get them going as people generally won't bother posting if theres nothing there.

Be prepared for a lot of work including posting questions under various aliases for things that people might search for, replying to your own posts and then stopping the spammers attacking.

If you can get to be the place where even the locals hang out then you may just have cracked it...

As for other repeat visitors, it partly depends who the site is aimed at. If it's aiming towards the tourist market then those people are only likely to really go there for a limited period of time whereas if it's the locals there might be less of them but you might get more repeats.

Trev
accala
PA
PA

42 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses Smile , could you explain briefly the problems you have experienced with running web based mail.

I have had a look at the horde web mail and would like to impliment that into our site.

As for keeping users up to date with whats on at local venues, eg kareoke night @ XYZ nightclub, we will be doing this- each business has their own editing suite where they can update their details, post special offers, events, job vacancies etc so we are encouraging the site to be up to date info, hopefully this should keep users returning.

Thanks,

Plus, latest news and local features posted every day- post your comments on each article! Have your say on www.accala.com
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for your responses, could you explain briefly the problems you have experienced with running web based mail.

Well, I never ran any free email in the past, so I can't tell you much about it. I do believe that running free email system is very very difficult, but I am not speaking from experience.

Depending on the size of the operation, you might want to think about manually creating email accounts rather than creating an interface for anyone to be able to create email account. Once the user reaches 100 posts, he gets to have a free email account, something like that. BTW, horde webmail comes with various control panels, so you don't even need to install if you only plain installation of webmail(or minor modification)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Internet Issues Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum