AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Everyone has an accent, except me (a political post)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> General Chat Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Still Waters
Executive
Executive

190 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Everyone has an accent, except me (a political post) Reply with quote

This is fascinating to me. And it clears up one of life's mysteries -- namely, why can't the media recognize its own bias? Now I understand why.

Ever catch yourself thinking, "they've got an accent"? Ever realize that your awareness of "their accent" is due to the fact that YOU'VE got an accent too? Most people don't think about that. They're not conscious of that. They go through daily life viewing the world solely from their own perspective.

Well, okay! That's normal human nature. But it's better to be self-aware, IMHO. Especially when it comes to the media.

Quote:
[A poll] done by the Pew Research Center, a secular organization that monitors the media and public policy issues [found] that the vast majority of those employed in the national and the local media describe themselves as liberals and moderates, with national media leaning far more toward the liberal side of the scale.

Only seven percent of the national journalists surveyed described themselves as conservatives, and the numbers were not much better for local journalists. That ratio may help to explain differences in the way the media report on American politics, and even in how they assess their own job of collectively covering news about political leaders and their policies.

http://headlines.agapepress.org/archive/5/262004c.asp

According to the poll, 88% of journalists in the US national press describe their political leanings as liberal or moderate. Yet, "most national and local journalists do not believe any national daily news organization is "especially liberal" in its news coverage.... Roughly three-quarters of liberals (74%) and a majority of moderates (56%) say they couldn't think of any news organization that is especially liberal. By contrast, solid majorities... say there is an organization that they think is especially conservative... Fox News Channel.... "

Meanwhile, only 7% of journalists in the national press are self-described as conservative, yet they seem more attuned to the existence of conservatism when it appears in the press... in addition to liberalism in the press. "Roughly two-thirds of self-described conservatives (68%) could identify a specific news organization that is especially liberal, and the same number (68%) could name a news organization that is "especially conservative." PEW Research Center

Althought US media coverage does, in fact, lean toward the liberal side, the vast majority of US journalists aren't self-aware enough to recognize it. I can imagine the liberal journalists thinking... "Hey, I don't have an accent! You're the one with the accent!" Very Happy
stephen
Executive
Executive

120 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: accent? Reply with quote

by definition an accent is the emphasis on particular phonemes/syllables within a word - not simply a distinction between peoples voices!

apparently, websters dictionary delibrately put different emphasis on words in 'american' english to differentiate themselves from the british, and help establish their own identity.

my point? that people that consider themselves without an accent may indeed be correct!
that said, i agree with you that it is very easy to perceive other peoples prejudices; less diffult to recognise ones own.
Still Waters
Executive
Executive

190 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: accent? Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. It's appreciated. Very Happy

By the way, I do have an accent... I speak English with an emphasis on particular syllables and phonemes. Everybody has an accent. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum