AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have you lost work to 'cheap labour'?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Programming Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Have you lost work to 'cheap labour'? Reply with quote

British IT contractors have lost their jobs to non-EU workers because they were cheaper, the BBC has been told.

An ex contractor at BT's Global Services Unit, said IT contractors laid off recently by BT, were told workers brought from India to the UK cost less.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8077579.stm
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't affect me personally. But this kind of thing has been going on for years. I remember reading a few years ago that the staff of a Scottish prawn factory had all been laid off because it was cheaper to air-freight the prawns to Thailand and have them processed there. Then they got air-freighted back to the UK, all packaged and ready for sale.

It might sound crazy but it's very logical when you take into account the costs of living and different wage rates of different economies. I would never in my wildest dreams be able to afford household staff in the UK, but when we lived in India, we had several. A full time house-keeper, FT driver, PT gardener, PT dhobi, and so on and on. Actually it was a real PITB having to manage all these people.

Labour imported to the UK is likely to be cheaper because many of the people have lower expectations. They are often quite happy to share accommodation to a greater extent than Brits would, and then they can send back some of their salary to the home country and keep their families going. From memory, I think the going rate for a FT driver in Delhi was about 100 per month. If, say, a driver could move overseas have a roof over his fed and food in his belly, anything on top of that could be sent home to take care of the family. It's potentially a lot more than he would earn otherwise.

I'm not saying it's "right". It's just the economics of it.
Spiderhousepr
Executive PA
Executive PA

82 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's happening everywhere - a sausage factory over here told new employess if they couldn't speak Polish they were unlikely to get the job as all instructions were delivered in Polish!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Programming Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum