AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do-it-yourself checkouts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaron
Retired Oil Baron
Retired Oil Baron

4592 ants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Do-it-yourself checkouts Reply with quote

Businesses are finding that self-checkout lanes distract customers into thinking they spend less time in line while saving the owners money. There's an interesting article on the subject here.

Aaron
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's wonderful that shopping is becoming so convenient. On the other hand, it's kind of scary that so much of our lives are being so automated. With that said, I think it'll take a while to see this type of system adapted widely. Also, I imagine, in some cases, human cashiers will be much more cost effective for some time.
billy donovan
Temp

3 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me the lines move a lot slower and are more frustrating than having a cashier ting up the order. The only way I benefit form this is now there are still a lot of people who are unsure of the technology and when the lines are really short.

I don't think that the saving money part will not be passed on to the customer for some time, until the companies really understand the full potential.
J-Ro
Executive PA
Executive PA

77 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used one of these automated checkouts in Tesco Leamington-Spa UK. All we bought was a pack of gum and we must have been at the till about 5-7 minutes.

I have to say I found very bizarre interacting with a machine in this way – even though I interact with a machine every day. Technology is evolving in leaps and bounds over recent years. However I think it will be something that will catch on quite quickly.

In the future I wouldn’t be surprised if all the products in our trolleys are scanned using a faint radio emission unique to each product bar code and something resembling a metal detector then all we need to do is pay. No more scanning products, so this would save time and stop shop lifters!!

Mmm, good idea? Will it make me millions?

J-Ro
stephen
Executive
Executive

120 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: RFID Reply with quote

Wouldn't have though so - unless you thought of it some time ago http://www.rfidjournal.com/!!

Some very scarey privacy issues with this too: http://news.com.com/2010-1069-980325.html
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The use of those so called wand things where you scan each item into the trolley could pottentially save time and the number of lines required as everything except payment has been done before you hit the checkout.

Personally I've never used them and from the example in the top article I don't think I'd bother as it looks more complex than than working this computer.

I saw Safeways Supermarket over here trying them out with a couple of extra lanes but they used the wand type where you scan the stuff in as you go with what looked like a simple to use device, then pop it in the till and pay but I think there was still someone at the checkout to take the payments and assist - it just saved them scanning the stuff. That would work for me...

Then again, with the increase in online shopping being rolled out by the bigger stores such as Tesco.com and the DIY store B&Q maybe in a few years they'll be reducing the number of isles again just because most people are doing things online.

With regards the radio tags, that might not be a bad idea although they'd have to probably redesign the trolley so that it doesn't pick up the signal from items as it passes, plus theres got to be a way to remove the stuff from the total also. Interesting idea however.

Trev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum