AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Twitter - do you use your own name?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
visabusinessnetwork
Secretary
Secretary

8 ants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it ultimately comes down to brand and motive. If you're a big company and want to connect to customers on a more personal level, it could help to have a 'Bob at Company Name' account like adigaskell mentioned. However, if people recognize your brand as something besides your name (such as your blog name), then having another account with your name could be confusing.

Having a company name can be a bit off-putting, but in the end, it's about HOW you use Twitter. You can just as easily be talking AT somebody from a Twitter account with a personal name. And there have been plenty of companies that have proved they can have actual conversations and listen to what their customers have to say, even if their Twitter handle isn't personalized.
Scootek
Executive PA
Executive PA

65 ants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to diagree with you on this one. Although we offer a personal service...we are not one person, we are a small business, so it makes sense for us to use the company name. Otherwise there would not be any point in us trying to create a company identity and all the other things that go with it!

I also like to keep my life private. I don't want to be famous or be plastered all over the internet. I also prefer my annonimity. Most of our clients are long term, meaning they have a minimum a year long contract with us, so they can get to know us very well.

This is not a plug, I am just telling you how it is in a some b2b service industries.

Ryan
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scootek wrote:
I have to diagree with you on this one. Although we offer a personal service...we are not one person, we are a small business, so it makes sense for us to use the company name. Otherwise there would not be any point in us trying to create a company identity and all the other things that go with it!

I also like to keep my life private. I don't want to be famous or be plastered all over the internet. I also prefer my annonimity. Most of our clients are long term, meaning they have a minimum a year long contract with us, so they can get to know us very well.

This is not a plug, I am just telling you how it is in a some b2b service industries.

Ryan

when you started in business, your new company identity would be worth zero and it would've been you and your skills your customers were buying into

much easier once you have a known company identity to do what you suggest above

i'd also concur with you above that in many traditional niche B2B manufacturing / engineering co's with only one or two major customers, the whole internet thing is largely irrelevant
Scootek
Executive PA
Executive PA

65 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you. Even now people buy into me..but at the same time I don't want to be trading as me. Although it might not be worth much now, I want to create an identity, so that the business is more than me. If you are trading as just you...your strength and your weekness is also you!
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The initial question is predicated on an incorrect assumption, which is that Twitter is one thing. It isn't - it can be whatever you want it to be. For example, you can use it simply as a promotion tool, in which case it makes sense to use a recognised name. It can be used as a news resource, to update a blog or website, in which instance it doesn't matter what the name of the acccount is. If it's the front of house for an organisation for example, it has to be the name of the company - if it's @bobnationaltrust I'm not going to know that - I'll take a stab at @nationaltrust instead. On the other hand, if it's a small company, one man band etc, then a personal name associated with the account makes much more sense.

I do wish people would stop thinking Twitter was one thing. It isn't - it can be pretty much whatever you want it to be.
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philb wrote:
The initial question is predicated on an incorrect assumption, which is that Twitter is one thing. It isn't - it can be whatever you want it to be. For example, you can use it simply as a promotion tool, in which case it makes sense to use a recognised name. It can be used as a news resource, to update a blog or website, in which instance it doesn't matter what the name of the acccount is. If it's the front of house for an organisation for example, it has to be the name of the company - if it's @bobnationaltrust I'm not going to know that - I'll take a stab at @nationaltrust instead. On the other hand, if it's a small company, one man band etc, then a personal name associated with the account makes much more sense.

I do wish people would stop thinking Twitter was one thing. It isn't - it can be pretty much whatever you want it to be.

I guest blogged recently on this subject
http://tweasier.com/blog/2010/11/five-ways-to-use-personal-and-company-accounts-on-twitter/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum