AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Google change: the Panda Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Another Google change: the Panda Update Reply with quote

Just received this is an email and thought I'd pass it on. Will this bring an end to all the poor quality link building that abounds on the Web, I wonder...?

What we know Google is looking at with the Panda update:

User comfort level in the trust area (think credit card/medicine comments)
Is it considered authoritative (this would apply some indication of expertise on topics covered, I would think)
Is the content quality good enough for print? (I’ve seen plenty of crap printed)
Are there too many ads? (How many are too many, and does the ad network matter?)
We know Google has its definition of what could be considered low quality
Google uses a “classifier” to draw a line in the sand
We know that so far, Google has not used indications from the Chrome Extension (emphasis on so far. Google hinted in the past that this data could potentially be used to tweak the algorithm).
Google looks at feedback, at least to some extent
Based on comments from Cutts, Google will tell you why your site dropped (getting that communication flow going may not be the easiest thing to do, but I have personally witnessed Cutts sit down with someone at a conference and look at their site with them.)
The algorithm can still be gamed. It can still be optimized for. (If you were hit by the update, there are things you can do to get back in Google’s good graces. In
other words, you’re not necessarily banned just because of your brand.)
Most of the changes in rankings will be done algorithmically, but Google will take manual action in some instances (see JC Penney)
If you use any auto-generated content keep it separated from the original high quality stuff, and block it from search engines. Google’s John Mu said recently, “If you do have such high-quality, unique and compelling content, I’d recommend separating it from the auto-generated rest of the site, and making sure that the auto-generated part is blocked from crawling and indexing, so that search engines can focus on what makes your site unique and valuable to users world-wide.”
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all confused. I'd not heard of the Panda update. I got an email today telling me about the Farmer update. Rolling Eyes I can't keep up!

Anyway, it's a bit funny for G to be concerned about how many ads a place runs when they themselves encourage people to plaster AS all over their sites.

I'm not sure how any such change will affect the link building 'industry'. Anyone who is stupid enough to hire these companies in the first place has no internet savvy at all. Therefore, I doubt if the change will make a blind bit of difference to them.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay wrote:
Rolling Eyes I can't keep up!

Part of me is inclined to ignore it all and just focus on creating useful, good quality content. In the long term, that's what ought to win through.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I was delighted to see something I'd written on my new site shoot straight to #1. (Admittedly not for a very popular search term.) But G can be very fickle so you always need to work on getting traffic from other sources too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum