AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Save our FaceBook groups!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Internet Issues Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Save our FaceBook groups! Reply with quote

I never use FB so I haven't a clue about it but I got an email with this in it:

"This month Facebook started to archive groups with relatively few members which means that some smaller [of our] groups face imminent closure."

Well, I ain't losing any sleep about that. I didn't even opt-in to receive the email, my competitor signed me up to his opt-out list for some reason. I haven't unsub'd as it's quite handy to have the competition giving me an update of what they're doing every month. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, why would FB be closing down smaller groups? Wouldn't they be better to encourage them to grow?

Why would anyone want to build a community on FB? Wouldn't it be better to build your own community on your own site?

I really don't 'get' FB at all. I hope G does eat them up and the whole thing falls flat on its face - cos apparently G won't make a success of the social thing anyway.
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

must be an age thing Wink

FB has old style groups and new style groups - perhaps its the first stage of taking out the old style groups

I don't find FB is relevant for my kind of B2B business

on the social side its a good place to share pics of the races / events we've been to over the weekend.

being an expat i would've thought FB was a good channel for keeping in touch with folk back in the UK?
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that our expat forum is a perfectly good way of keeping in touch with people all over the world, and being part of an expat community who shares experiences, advice and photos.

What folk would I want to keep in touch with back in the UK? Do you mean family? I doubt if most of them own a computer let alone know how to use one.
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a friend recently revisited Montserrat having been there just before the volcano erupted. He wanted to see the before and after to use in his environmental talks
FB was a good way of sharing with everyone where he'd been that day. I guess he'd got something to say and had friends on FB who were interested in listening
it works best if backed up by photos / videos / links, otherwise a forum is better
for larger pieces of content he linked us across to his blog

bottom line is its a tool. Only use it when its the best medium
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
must be an age thing

At first I took that to mean that you thought I was too old to understand it. Harrummph. But then, entirely coincidentally, I was on Which magazine looking for something else and I found this:

article on Which

Perhaps after all I'm just not typical for my age group. Twisted Evil
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as FB is a social tool and the over 50's are looking to have more social time in their life i guess it follows
plenty of parents keep in touch with their kids at university through FB nowadays
there are also loads of FB groups for common social interests - local community etc and filled with discussions by over 35s

but it only works if your social network resides there
the 10 yo friend of my daughter is on FB (despite the 13 yo rule) but finds she has no one to chat to as no other 10 yo child is allowed on Very Happy
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it as different things for different purposes. For instance the Everton page I run the forum is still the place for in depth debates, but to get a quick snapshot of opinion across a huge audience (90,000 fans and counting) then Facebook is hard to beat.

Likewise on the CMI pages, you can't really beat blogs for in depth articles or the LinkedIn group for serious debate, but for discussing The Apprentice, Facebook is working well. Just a case of using different tools to reach different people in different ways.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Save our FaceBook groups! Reply with quote

Kay wrote:
Why would anyone want to build a community on FB? Wouldn't it be better to build your own community on your own site?

I can see exactly where you're coming from with those comments. Problem is, I don't think it's as easy to do on your own site, as it can be on FB.

I have niche fan pages on Facebook with many thousands of fans. They've grown with very little marketing on my part. I guess people just see their friends join, and they in turn join. You can only achieve that same kind of knock-on effect with a platform such as Facebook, I think.
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Let's make a fairly broad statement that just about none of you are going to like. Websites are dead. Their value is decreasing day by day. Now, when I say 'dead' I mean it in the techie sense, which is that they're not gaining, and very little new or exciting is being done with the concept.

We've moved onto social now. Don't believe me? Take a look at a search results page, and tot up the number of social results that you're getting. If I search for phil bradley I get my website at the top of the list, but also a link to my blogs, twitter page, flickr page, wikipedia entry and so on. Social search is increasingly being pulled into traditional search, by Google, Bing, Blekko and so on. That's why +1 and Like buttons are becoming important.

What we all need to do is to go to where the conversations are. Sure, once upon a time, they were on our websites, but that's not where they are now. Facebook is important because *that's where people go*. And they like sticking around there. Coke and Pepsi get more visits to their Facebook pages than their sites. In the UK, adverts now link to Facebook pages, not websites. Anyone who spends huge amounts of time updating and sorting a website *at the expense of their social media presence* is quite simply clueless.
Dave McM
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philb wrote:
Websites are dead.

I think you're a bit off the mark there, Phil.

You may well have a point as far as discussion of hot topics of the day is concerned. My instincts (and my own preferences) tell me that people looking for reference information aren't going to favour pure social web sites over sites that simply present the information they're looking for.
(Disclaimer: my instincts are not infallible.)

It may well be that the social web is where the big money is these days. But I think there's still money to be made from providing information, as long as it's relevant to enough people.
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave - the point is that search is moving towards social, just as fast as it possibly can. You're right to say that people won't assume that data from social media is necessarily correct or accurate - though it's a point we could discuss. However, to expand on my previous post, we're now starting to see - and will increasingly see over the next few years - that thought leaders and individuals are going to become much more important when it comes to search.

Who people are, what they like, the influence that they have, what they +1, how often they are retweeted, and how often their websites are +1'd will become as important, if not more so, than the sites. It's interesting for example to see that Google is now starting to indicate the author of sites/posts etc when they can do, together with a pretty little avatar picture.

We'll still need to have sites, of course - I'm not saying that we won't, which is why I wanted to emphasis exactly what I mean by 'dead'. Any time and effort that you (generic you) have should, in my opinion, be spent building up a personal brand and an institutional brand on social media.

With respect - you're still thinking primarily in terms of sites. Sites are, as I've said, not so important. It's the *people* who build the sites, the people who provide the information, who get cited, THAT's what's important. You're absolutely right to say that there's money to be made from providing good information - agree 100%. However, that's going to increasingly come from leveraging your position in social as an expert, not as someone who has been able to produce a fancy looking website.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philb wrote:
Coke and Pepsi get more visits to their Facebook pages than their sites.

I'd noted the shift in UK TV advertising to putting up Facebook URLs rather than their own company URLs, but I never knew this to be the case.

Wow. Shocked
Dave McM
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philb wrote:
We'll still need to have sites, of course - I'm not saying that we won't, which is why I wanted to emphasis exactly what I mean by 'dead'.

Ah. You mean this sentence, don't you? Embarassed

Quote:
Now, when I say 'dead' I mean it in the techie sense, which is that they're not gaining, and very little new or exciting is being done with the concept.

Fair enough. And I accept that if a site providing information is associated with a particular person ("expert"), then it obviously makes sense for that person to develop their social profile as much as possible.

On the other hand, I think there's something to be said for relative anonymity if the information you're presenting is essentially factual and (as far as it can ever be) neutral. Put too much personality into it, and you start putting opinion, which can be challenged - and thus makes you just one more person with an opinion, rather than an unimpeachable source of information. Conversely, a person who presents nothing but information without any opinion or personality is just an anorak - and I can't see anoraks doing particularly well on the social web, except with other anoraks of their own particular persuasion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Internet Issues Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum