AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So... what do you make of the Google Penguin update?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: So... what do you make of the Google Penguin update? Reply with quote

Apparently it affects something like 3% of search results (whereas Panda affected 12%, supposedly).

Roll-out was around 24th April 2012 apparently.

I'm seeing mixed results. What about everyone else?
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Penguin update? Laughing

I had no idea it had even happened. What are the major changes? Or is this the one that looks at 'un-natural' linking?
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.co.nz/2012/04/another-step-to-reward-high-quality.html

“The change will decrease rankings for sites that we believe are violating Google’s existing quality guidelines. We’ve always targeted webspam in our rankings, and this algorithm represents another improvement in our efforts to reduce webspam and promote high quality content. While we can’t divulge specific signals because we don’t want to give people a way to game our search results and worsen the experience for users, our advice for webmasters is to focus on creating high quality sites that create a good user experience and employ white hat SEO methods instead of engaging in aggressive webspam tactics.”

So...doesn't tell you a great deal really, does it?

It'd be nice if they focussed on creating high quality themselves, instead of this cr*p that I posted here: http://www.aardvarkbusiness.net/chat/viewtopic.php?t=26269

Please note that, even though we appear twice at the top of the results with our own site in this instance, I am still saying these results provide a very poor experience to the user.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum