AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5 ways to waste money with PPC advertising
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaggiegill
Executive
Executive

336 ants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: 5 ways to waste money with PPC advertising Reply with quote

By: John Grant

I found this awesome article on how to waste your money using PPC. Enjoy!

Pay-per-click advertising is the biggest lead generation breakthrough in a long time. Thanks to its ability to narrowly target prospects, tightly manage spending and precisely measure results, PPC is one of the most efficient lead generation tools ever developed, especially for small and midsize companies.

But it has a downside. Because PPC campaigns are so quick to set up and so easy to start, a business owner easily can waste thousands of dollars in a matter of weeks before learning hard (and expensive) lessons about what works and what doesn’t. Here are the most common mistakes made with PPC:

Using your home page as the landing page. When you set up a PPC ad, whether with Google, Yahoo or any other search engine, it’s up to you to decide where to direct the people who click on your ad. By default, most firms send clickers to the company home page. After all, they reason, if the home page is the digital equivalent of the front door, shouldn’t prospects come here as a starting point?

No, and here’s why: Most company home pages cover too many subjects and have too much going on to serve as effective landing pages. Simply dropping a searcher here in the hope that he finds what he’s looking for almost guarantees frustration and failure. Remember, a person who initiates a Web search is looking for something specific. Tossing him to a generic home page (with the implicit message, “Here, you figure it out”) works against converting ad clicks into leads.

Effective PPC ads take clickers to a tightly focused landing page developed and matched specifically to the subject of the search. The page has minimal distractions, a strong call to action and a thought-out process for moving the searcher to the next step, whether that’s requesting information, signing up for a newsletter or making a purchase.

Fix No. 1: Take clickers to a well-crafted landing page, distinct from the company home page.

Not bidding enough to secure a top spot. PPC works on an auction model, giving you, the advertiser, the option of deciding how much you want to pay for a search term. In effect, you can choose how high in the ad listings you want to appear. All else being equal, the more you pay relative to other advertisers, the higher your ad will be.

Popular search terms can have a dozen or more ads listed in order on search results pages, giving the impression that anyone can drive clicks with PPC. But consider this: 85 percent of all PPC clicks are on ads in one of the top three positions. The remaining ads, whether there are five more or 50, share the scraps.

Unless you bid high enough to get into one of the top three spots, you’re wasting your time. You’re not wasting money, because if nobody clicks you pay nothing, but if you choose to be hidden further down the list, you’ll have trouble generating the leads you want to close the sales you need.

Fix No. 2: Choose search terms and manage bids in such a way that you consistently appear in one of the top three spots.

Not making your ad copy specific. Yahoo allows 190 characters (including spaces) in a text ad. Google allows just 70. No pictures, no colors and no company logo are allowed — just a few words.

Many advertisers waste this precious space with vague, meaningless terms (e.g., quality, economical, good service) or general statements that don’t clearly explain the uniqueness of their offering. When that occurs, one of two things can happen, both of which are bad.

The first is that searchers don’t click on your ad. Again, it costs you nothing but it doesn’t help you meet your objectives, either.

The second bad thing is worse, as it costs time and money: The wrong searchers click. In other words, your ad causes clicks, but those who click — thanks to poorly written ad copy — are not good candidates for your product or service. You pay for the clicks, but the leads go nowhere.

Fix No. 3: Be specific and unique in ad copy. If you have patented or otherwise unique features, a particular market or application expertise, unusually friendly return policies or warranties or something else that sets you apart, mention it here.

Not aligning your landing page with searchers’ keywords. Here’s how the ideal PPC sequence works:

A searcher goes to Google and inputs the term “red widget.” Your ad pops up and the term red widget is in both its headline and ad copy. The searcher clicks on your ad (because you’re in one of the top three spots) and arrives at a landing page that is specifically about red widgets.

There’s no confusion, no hesitation, no wondering whether this isn’t the right place after all. The searcher is systematically taken down a keyword flow path from start to finish.

Web searchers have lots of options and are presented with lots of data. This leads to impatience and a tendency to abandon any search that doesn’t quickly and easily lead to a desired result.

Fix No. 4: Ensure landing pages focus on the keywords that bring clickers there in the first place (you may have several landing pages, simply to ensure keyword flow). You’ll increase clicks, conversions and ROI.

Not bothering with testing. One thing that makes PPC advertising so compelling, particularly for those with limited ad dollars, is that it is instantly and perfectly testable. Unlike an ad in the newspaper, on the radio, in a trade journal or in any other traditional offline media, PPC dollars can be tracked. Not only can you tell which words were clicked on, you can follow the click all the way through to a completed conversion (newsletter signup, literature request, sale, etc.).

So it’s critical to constantly test PPC results, tinkering with or discarding the keywords, ads and landing pages that don’t work and making improvements along the way. You will not get everything right from the start. But thanks to the data that PPC advertising generates, you can fine-tune the process and continually improve your ROI.

Fix No. 5: Test, test, test. It’s easy to do and, with a bit of focused attention, you can improve results drastically.

PPC has a tremendous amount to offer small and midsize businesses. Keep these five guidelines in mind as you establish your PPC campaigns, and you’ll turn clicks into profits in no time.

http://www.dmnews.com/cms/dm-news/search-marketing/39826.html

Write That Report: Discover The Secrets To Instant Cash
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sylviavictor
Temp

2 ants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think that PPC advertising is not worth? Twisted Evil
Elisor
Executive PA
Executive PA

49 ants

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sylviavictor wrote:
Do you think that PPC advertising is not worth? Twisted Evil

He's saying it's worth it - just be careful how you use it otherwise you're going to waste a lot of money.
Angie
PA
PA

36 ants

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was a great article. thanks for posting it!
marnels
Secretary
Secretary

8 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: PPC can drain you Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that article. I wish I had seen it a few years ago when I first ventured into PPC and lost thousands of dollars. Newbies should be banned for their own financial health! Very Happy
Elle1971
Executive
Executive

333 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've not bothered with PPC personally (not that we're averse)... but you made a couple of valid points there. Thanks for sharing.

Elle xx
Elisor
Executive PA
Executive PA

49 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the last 6 or so months I've gone through pretty much every type of online marketing technique, with the exception of affiliate marketing, there is for the business site mentioned in my sig. PPC has beaten all other forms of marketing I've used in terms of $ effectiveness.

Don't get me wrong, PPC should not be your only marketing activity. Press releases and articles are great (and free), but they have a more indirect, long-term effect.
CubanJoe
Executive PA
Executive PA

93 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: PPC Advertising Reply with quote

That is useful information. Good post.

In answer to one of the sub questions, yes, I personally think that PPC is very good yes. The thing is though that you need to ensure that you optimise the PPC campaigns so that you get the most out of the PPC.
mrrb
Secretary
Secretary

10 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: ppc content sites Reply with quote

If your budget is tight and you can't afford to bid enough to get into the top three positions for google search, don't despair. You can still bid a more affordable price per click for advertising on Google's content network. I have had campaigns set up with no active search keywords that have generated sales solely through Google's content network with a much lower cost than ppc for search. So if the cost per click is too high for search, you can still test the conversion rate through the use of Google's content network. Then you will know if it is feasible to raise the ppc to where your ad will be shown on search.

Sue
MRRB
Pete223
Secretary
Secretary

12 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article, thanks for sharing...

I use PPC strictly to build lists. I find that i get a pretty good return
on all clicks.

I love targeting long-tailed keywords, which cost less, have almost
no competition and convert well. The more general keywords bring
in less targeted prospects. When people search for more obscure
keywords, well, they seem more interested in what i have to offer
than the tire kickers i get with general keywords.

But, i always bring my PPC traffic to an opt-in page. Let's say i spend
50$ on a campaign, at 0.10$ a click, that's 500 clicks (if my calculator is right Wink ).
Converted at only 20%, that's 100 new subscribers. If i sell a 67$ product to
3% of those new subscribers that's $201 - $50 = $151 Pure Profit

And the best thing in all of this is, i still have 97 prospects to "work".

I've had good success with this and PPC is a great tool if you
use it right.

Have a Great Day,
CubanJoe
Executive PA
Executive PA

93 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Adwords Reply with quote

Another way to waste Adwords money is to forget to include Negative words into your cmapaigns. The word 'Venice' for example is a city in Italy but also associated with Venice Beach, USA and a few other places in USA etc.

If you have a busines which relies on local business in Venice, Italy then you need to use negative keywords to avoid paying for the wrong locations.
logins06
Secretary
Secretary

8 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: PPC ad Reply with quote

Hey, great tip on testing conversion through Google's content network! I'll try this as soon as band practice is over. I was thinking about starting a PPC campaign, but I'm probably not quite ready yet...
CubanJoe
Executive PA
Executive PA

93 ants

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Adwords tips Reply with quote

Also grouping too many words into one ad group can be a big mistake. You want to try and match as closely as possible the search term someone would have used to the wording in the ad which will show. You thus need to make many small ad groups and make it more specific if you can.
mikesed
Executive PA
Executive PA

81 ants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to say that I'm a complete Google Adwords convert.

I tried it once about 6 years ago and got no where.

I decided that it just had to work, so I started reading and also ended up attending some courses.

These days I swear by it.

The article above covers off some great points.

Here's a few more:

1) Get your keywords into your ad title. This means you really need to think about how you group you keywords into adgroups but it's worth it. The keyword used in the search is highlighted if it appears in your ad, so that helps your ad stand out.

2) If you are using Google Adwords, try using the Adwords Optimiser. It might look a little daunting at first but it's really quite straight forward to set up and it really does give some amazing insights into what works on your landing pages.

3) Write landing pages specifically for each of your keywords groups and make sure the main keywords are in the title tag of the page.

Cheers
Mike
thehardwarecity
Secretary
Secretary

12 ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: PPC Reply with quote

I am wasting $10/day on adwords and some more similar on others like yahoo and live.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum