AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going Self-Employed With The Company Who Currently Employ Me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Self-Employment Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PWUK
Temp

4 ants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Going Self-Employed With The Company Who Currently Employ Me Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am currently salaried with two employers, working from home. For one I work 24 hours a week and my gross hourly wage is 12.

For the second company I work 22 hours my gross hourly wage is 10.

I am in the process of moving to France and because of the red tape for both them and me, it looks (sadly) like my last option is to go self-employed. Neither employer has expressed any major concerns regarding that - nor would they since the French Social Security contributions they would have to pay alone amount to around 45% of my gross earnings. As you might gather, I am in the perhaps (in today's business climate) luxurious position of working for small employers doing not so much highly skilled work, but certainly work that would require much time and investment in training up someone to replace me - both are keen to retain me in some capacity.

My concern now is that I have to try and work out my self-employed hourly rate, should I take this route. Would it remain as it is or should I increase it because I have to make my own deductions? If the latter is so, by how much should I increase the rate?

If anyone can think of any negatives for my employers allowing me to be self-employed, I would be grateful to hear all comments as the last thing I want to do is exploit them, or to have them exploit me.

I am not really looking for any answers on the France aspect as I have spent much time discussing my circumstances with Eures advisers, French chambers of commerce and representatives of portage salarial organisations - and I am well aware of how much of my pay I am likely to 'lose'. That said, any expert advice I can get my mits on for nowt would obviously not be sniffed at!

Thanks all for any help.

P.
Gaddon
Executive PA
Executive PA

91 ants

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Going self employed Reply with quote

One thing I would look at is the overheads. They would be paying Ni, Pension contribution, insurance etc, so make sure you increase your rates to take allowance for the money they are saving. On average when I go into a company on a similar basis to yourself I double the hourly wage then let then knock me down 10%.
ladyflguru
Secretary
Secretary

9 ants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually there are pro's and con's with both being self employed and working as an employee. Self employment is a big step though, maybe think it over a bit weither or not the company you would be contracting with wouldnt mind you increasing your pay without the threat of them finding someone else to work for cheaper.

If you have a good rep you may be luck to have them keep you and let you work at home. But the biggest difference is being self employed vs employed with the company is that you have to take care of everything yourself, including buying supplies and cost of anything you may need like a computer (either seperate for work or running it keeping it up to date with the latest software). If you can manage being in your home everyday without the normal social interaction then it could be the most rewarding thing you've done, i know as im self employed Smile plus if you were bored enough you could find otherways to make money working online.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Self-Employment Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum