AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A question for freelancers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Self-Employment Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: A question for freelancers Reply with quote

I am curious to know what freelancers' attitude is to this situation:

Scenario 1) you have a work offer... the pay is OK but not fantastic... you have done work for the client before and you know you get paid promptly

Scenario 2) you have another offer of work... the pay is significantly better... but you have never worked for the client and can't be quite so confident about payment

Which job do you take?

I ask because I am someone that offers freelance work out to content writers, and I am interested to learn how significant reliability of payment is in the eyes of a freelancer. We pay modest sums but we do pay very promptly (on receipt of invoice usually) with the intention of keeping freelancers happy where they do a good job for us. To date, this has served us well, and we so far seem to have a good retention rate.

Paul
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I can only speak from personal experience - other people may well be motivated by what they need to meet their financial commitments. Having escaped from the rat race, I'm not very motivated by money. I like to do things which interest me. Therefore, I'd choose according to which job had the most inherent appeal and interest for me.

That said, I tend to get very p...ed off with people who don't pay what they owe. I also like working with people I TRUST. Trust is very important. If you have a good retention rate then you're obviously doing the right thing and keeping people happy. Don't fix what ain't broke. Smile But every relationship has to start somewhere so your potential offer (job 1) doesn't offer me any more security than any other job.

Hope that wasn't too waffly, I was just trying to think about and respond to your question.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that made a lot of sense, Kay.

In order to attract 'first time freelancers', I play things slightly differently.

Established freelancers would usually be asked to issue invoices on a monthly basis, or at least every few weeks. With a new freelancer, I say to them "we ask for invoices monthly but, since you're new and want to be sure that we do pay up (I put it as bluntly as that sometimes!), then we don't mind if you invoice more regularly initially". That seems to get around any initial reservations they might have.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that seems to be a good way to go about things. And many people who do this type of work really need the money ASAP to pay their bills.

I did some writing work for a company, which unfortunately went under a while back, and they expected people to invoice for every piece of work. I found it a PITB to do that and asked if I could invoice them monthly - they were very happy with that. Nice people to work with, interesting and enjoyable work albeit low pay, and I always got paid. What a pity that a decent little company like that would disappear.
JIM_82
Temp

5 ants

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: A question for freelancers Reply with quote

paul wrote:
I am curious to know what freelancers' attitude is to this situation:

Scenario 1) you have a work offer... the pay is OK but not fantastic... you have done work for the client before and you know you get paid promptly

Scenario 2) you have another offer of work... the pay is significantly better... but you have never worked for the client and can't be quite so confident about payment

Which job do you take?

I ask because I am someone that offers freelance work out to content writers, and I am interested to learn how significant reliability of payment is in the eyes of a freelancer. We pay modest sums but we do pay very promptly (on receipt of invoice usually) with the intention of keeping freelancers happy where they do a good job for us. To date, this has served us well, and we so far seem to have a good retention rate.

Paul

I'd pick scenario 1, but that's just because I like security!
Sparkey
Executive PA
Executive PA

66 ants

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been bitten by scenario 2 in the past I'd probably go with No1, or if I was tempted by the higher pay, try to check things out a little better first at least to limit the risk of getting ripped off or mucked about.

I'd personally rather work with people I trust, but when talking about people in general you can't underestimate the power of greed. *shrug*
AboveParr
Secretary
Secretary

13 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been bitten by scenario 1 recently so who knows???

I like a challenge - I'd probably take them both on!
Gaddon
Executive PA
Executive PA

91 ants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: good payer Reply with quote

Well i'm not a freelance writer, but when I get asked to do consultancy work and it clashes I happily take the work from previous customers and either advise the others I can do the job at a later date, or pass on it. a good relationship is worth more than money. (well the money is good as well).
jonicode
Secretary
Secretary

15 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with the first. It's way secure than the other. After all, the security of freelancing relies on trust, and without it freelancers like me would rather run to the opposite direction and get back to my full time job. Here's an interesting piece about freelancing that you may find useful: https://www.jobsindubai.com/career.asp?qArticleID=58&page=1
saff
Secretary
Secretary

17 ants

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as you can tell from my other posts, I'm new to the world of freelance.

however, I've been on the other side of the coin for 5 years, and as a result think it's very important to take into account the fact that payment won't always be forthcoming from the most attractive of prospects..

I know that going forward, I will be making an informed decision based on what preliminary experience I have of the company; be it word of mouth or first impressions and assurances given..

Thing is that I've worked for one of the larger contractors, and you'd think that payment would be fine, but internal problems and disorganisation and lack of consistency with payment processes meant that on occasions I found it nearly impossible to get people paid in good time - much to my annoyance. (I know that it's people's livelihood, and I took it very personally when people within my organisation were reluctant to just get things done, resulting in one of our freelancers being owed #10k that was a almost a month late.). So because of this although I'd usually go for the money, I'll definately be leaning towards reliable payment unlses I can be pretty sure..
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I'm tight for cash, 1
if I'm not tight for cash, 2

i'd take a job on if I felt it was interesting but mainly if I felt I could trust who i was working with
smartandy
Temp

2 ants

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always look forward to new opportunities as, You have to realize that mistakes are learning experiences, that having competition should motivate you to become better, and that failure is just a word… you can easily pick yourself up from it and move on. Do you think it’s better to have tried something and failed, or never to have tried at all?
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smartandy isn't so smart.

Posting from India, not Alexandria, Kentucky, USA.

Banned. Rolling Eyes
Mark Pickering
PA
PA

24 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gut would always go for scenario 1, but the risk taker in me (and the overwhelming urge to always find something new and interesting) would go for number two. It's always a risk whilst freelancing - I have several unpaid invoices outstanding - all from clients who have previously been reasonably good payers. It's back to full time employment for me! Smile
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not the only one Mark. I'm also more interested in working for others these days, which is something I wouldn't have considered a couple of years ago. I'm just kinda tired of having Google as my boss and never knowing what money will come in at the end of the month (or not). At least if i do a job for someone, the rate of pay is agreed upfront, and I know how much to expect.

It's still freelancing and all done online so it's not the same as a full-time job. I really enjoy the work, not least because when I research things to write my reports it's also a great opportunity for me to learn new things, which I definitely don't get so much when running my own business. Another thing is that sometimes I don't agree with my boss, and it's OK for me to tell him so. I'm not some kind of automaton who can blindly follow orders. If I disagree with him, he makes a case for his POV. Hmm. He's invariably right - so I've learned something again! Very Happy

Mind you, in the past I've had some bosses who were not so smart. If have to have a boss, it must be someone smarter, or at least someone more successful, than I am. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Self-Employment Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum