AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working from a treadmill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Computing Issues Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Working from a treadmill Reply with quote

I know some of you are going to think this is absolutely nuts, but I'd be interested to hear if any of you think there's any merit in it.

The idea is probably best summed up with a picture rather than words.

Yep, you've guessed it - a treadmill that doubles up as a desk. This is the brainchild of Dr. James Levine of the Mayo Clinic. I think he estimates that doing your normal working day whilst walking at 1mph (very slow and a pace you could work at at the same time) rather than sitting down could mean a weight loss of something like 57lbs in a year, assuming no other changes in your lifestyle. He's also claiming that the healthier lifestyle enhances productivity.

See the video here: http://www.youtube.com/v/CPjN07JyVjo

I must admit, I quite like the idea, however ridiculous it might look. I do think it's kind of absurd seeing people on them in suits or - worse still - high heels (surely that can't be good for posture, etc.?! - or the treadmill itself! Laughing )

Need multiple screens? Not a problem...

But these things come at a cost. A staggering $6500 for the top unit. So a lot of people are doing their own makeshift 'desks' and sticking their desktop or laptop on top. I must admit, I'm tempted to give it a try... I already have a treadmill at home and a plank of wood across the grip bars is possibly all I need.

Paul
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so sure myself. You'd have to train yourself because initially you'd have to conciously think that you're walking whilst working and if you stop walking you'll fall off. That would obviously be a distraction from work.

Having said that, there are some advantages. You do get the blood flowing, which is crucial for good thoughts to emerge, and you're also stood up, which is the best way to be when answering the phone etc.

Still not entirely sold however. I know a few offices that have things like treadmills and exercise bikes in and staff can use them whenever. That would perhaps be a better compromise.
Spiderhousepr
Executive PA
Executive PA

82 ants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: running Reply with quote

ohhhhhhhhh I love it!!!! Its toally insanely, but I love the idea of it!!! Theres no way you could focus on a normal small computer screnn while running though, it would have to be a bigger size to allow your eyes to adjust!

I just ran my first 10K race yesterday in Belfast, so this might help me train for the marathon!!!! a tad expensive probably.......
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul's a (relapsed) runner. You'll have to motivate him to get his lardy bum back out onto the road again Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Computing Issues Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum