AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine



 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

     

Segmentation question

 
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
StanNN
Secretary
Secretary


Joined: 01 Jun 2007
Posts: 12

25 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Segmentation question Reply with quote

How can i make segmentation of customers, there are
Demographic Variables
Geographic Variables
Psychographic Variables
Behavioristic Variables
each of this groups has bout 5-10 variables.
How do i start from here i mean what exactly should i do to segment market it makes total 625 variables = 625 segments. how i narrow them?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adigaskell
President
President


Joined: 01 Jul 2004
Posts: 5428

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only you can tell which segments are best for your business. The nature of your business will inevitably make some more important than others.

For instance a plumber has a clearly defined location so geographic segmentation would be important. They could also segment by longevity of custom or average spend/profit per customer.

Alternatively a forum like this may segment by new members and regular members. Aaron might want to attract more from a particular country or from a particular industry and therefore segment accordingly.

So the moral of the story is that it's impossible to tell you which is best without knowing anything about your business.
_________________
My social media blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
StanNN
Secretary
Secretary


Joined: 01 Jun 2007
Posts: 12

25 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
Only you can tell which segments are best for your business. The nature of your business will inevitably make some more important than others.

For instance a plumber has a clearly defined location so geographic segmentation would be important. They could also segment by longevity of custom or average spend/profit per customer.

Alternatively a forum like this may segment by new members and regular members. Aaron might want to attract more from a particular country or from a particular industry and therefore segment accordingly.

So the moral of the story is that it's impossible to tell you which is best without knowing anything about your business.


For example business that delivers food from restaurant to home, but then again there are to many variables that are important, and i haven't read in any tutorial that you should chose just few that are important, however they don't tell you how exactly to do segmentation either.
If i chose only important variables how many usually used in total 5 or 10 or more variables?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adigaskell
President
President


Joined: 01 Jul 2004
Posts: 5428

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you're a small business delivering meals to homes then you would I presume have limited resources, not to mention customers, to segment them every which way.

If you have a few thousand customers why would you segment them in 625 ways, and perhaps more importantly even if you did segment them in such a way how would you find the resources to act upon this information to provide a bespoke service for eacn and every one of those segments?
_________________
My social media blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
StanNN
Secretary
Secretary


Joined: 01 Jun 2007
Posts: 12

25 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
Well if you're a small business delivering meals to homes then you would I presume have limited resources, not to mention customers, to segment them every which way.

So you say i should not segment at all?

adigaskell wrote:
If you have a few thousand customers why would you segment them in 625 ways, and perhaps more importantly even if you did segment them in such a way how would you find the resources to act upon this information to provide a bespoke service for eacn and every one of those segments?

I dont say i need 625 way's i just were lacking of understanding how to segment now i think i know how its done - by one (or two at the same time) most important variables from any of four groups and probably no need to make more than 5-10 segments.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adigaskell
President
President


Joined: 01 Jul 2004
Posts: 5428

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you should always segment to find your most profitable customers, just saying that for a small business they don't always have the resources either in data mining or to act upon the intelligence they have.
_________________
My social media blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Google
 
Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum


Powered by php B B © 2001, 2002 php B B Group

AardvarkBusiness.net Business Search Engine & Directory