AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much do you need to know?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: How much do you need to know? Reply with quote

How much do you need to know about what you are selling? I don't know about car sales men/women, but I realize that most of computer software sales men/women don't know much about what they are selling(I was reminded of this recently). I'm not trying to make judgment here, but I am simply curious to know how much you need to know about a product or service in order to sell it. I'm kind of doing something similar myself and I will be doing a lot more in the coming months, so I'd like to have some idea here ...
BernardErtl
President
President

11 ants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are telemarketing "boiler rooms" that successfully sell all kinds of "stuff" using scripts. The folks manning the phones don't have a clue what they are pitching. Some of them are quite successful.
DCrx
Executive PA
Executive PA

97 ants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The less you know about what you are selling, the more vulnerable you are. Computer software sales people may be able to throw a call to an application engineer -- something few small or one person ouffits can. Those companies whose sole operating philosohpy is to "move product" are vulnerable to salespeople who know which software goes with what customer.

That doesn't mean they won't make sales, simply that the "know nothing" niche is saturated and the knowledgeable sales niche is somewhat under represented in quite a few categories.
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told this story briefly, but I mention it again to get more feedback on this.

Recently, I got a new dedicated server and Plesk one domain license. It turned out that one domain license did not support multiple emails, so I had to upgrade. As I upgraded, Tomcat stopped working, so I asked for support. The problem was not resolved for some time, so I did some research. It turned out that one domain license was actually the demo version, but the demo came with Tomcat enabled; once I upgraded, I no longer had demo version, SO Tomcat was disabled(funny order, but that's what happened). I found that I had to order Tomcat separately and asked one of sales to get me this. But guess what? I had been emailing him about this the whole time; he did not know. He did not know that he had not sold Tomcat license to me; consequently, it was not working.

It was not pleasant experience, but ... it got me think and one of questions I asked was "How much do you need to know about what you are selling?"
Mun
Temp

5 ants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm an affiliate with various products and softwares that I sell. Before I become an affiliate I would read the website about the product before becoming an affiliate. Some people just scan through the website and join as an affiliate. I always feel it is important to read about the product you are selling to get a full understanding about the product itself. I have also emailed any questions that I have to the product owner before becoming an affiliate. The more understanding you have about the product you are selling, the more credibilty you will gain.

Best Wishes and Kind Regards,
Mun Anderson
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been phoned several times recently by people trying to sell things. If you ask any kind of techinical question they don't know because its not on their script.

I always try and know what I'm selling. This doesn't neccessarily have to be in complete technical detail. After all you sell benefits rather than features but nonetheless you need to know how your features provide the benefits that they do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum