AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have flashmobs become passe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Have flashmobs become passe? Reply with quote

I used to be a fan of flashmobs but they seem to be getting so frequent that they're approaching saturation. The latest was one performed at Liverpool Street (where they all seem to be!) where a supposed mass moonwalk was done. There are a few videos on YouTube that show nothing but the crowd videoing each other. I've watched them all and havn't seen anyone doing any dancing at all.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with many things like this, they're good when they're original. We've seen quite a few now so the novelty factor isn't around so much.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I wonder if I live on a different planet. I've never even heard of a flashmob. Embarassed
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_mob Smile
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Adi. I could've looked it up myself but didn't bother because I thought it was probably something like Flash splash pages. But since you gave the link - ah, now I understand. Smile
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-Mobile did a very successful one earlier this year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ3d3KigPQM

A lot of poor imitations since though.
RobTothDotCom
Secretary
Secretary

13 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Thanks, Adi. I could've looked it up myself but didn't bother because I thought it was probably something like Flash splash pages. But since you gave the link - ah, now I understand."

Chews me out for not reading forum terms (as if there are folks out there still who make it priority #1 to read instructions) and then doesn't google "flashmob"... sheesh. Wink

In Vancouver, they're still quite common. The flashmob pillow fight, flashmob water gun fight, flash mob "4:20", flashmob skaters etc.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I wanted to participate in something, then I would find out what it was and how to go about it - eg forum rules. If it was something mentioned incidentally then I might not bother to find out.

We don't all have to agree here - that's a big part of what makes the place interesting. I suggest we put disagreements behind us and move on in a friendly way.

I was really pleased when you showed up, as I thought you'd be a great member to have aboard, but it seems we've got on the wrong side of each other. I apologise for my part in that.
Leadership Expert
Executive PA
Executive PA

56 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adi, you've hit upon a brilliant point.

With Improv Everywhere (probably one of the pioneers of the modern flash mob), they were a group of individuals who were semi organised, and were in it to achieve something - to pull off a feat, whether it be make half a supermarket walk in slow motion, or place a dancer in every window in a multi story new york department store. The videoing was taken care of due to the organised nature of the stunt, so the participants could just focus on having fun.

But now... flash mobs are just a novelty in themselves - people taking part just to be part of 'something', even if the something is practically nothing, as your hilarious moonwalk example shows. A massive group of people filming each other, wow.

So in conclusion I'm going to say that youtube style flashmobs have completely lost their novelty on me, but they'll always be a fresh generation of newcomers who will turn up and have a mediocre time. Properly organised stunts however, like all entertainment, will never go out of fashion.

If you haven't, search for improv everywhere and check out some of the stuff they've done.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, hopefully someone will come along and freshen things up a bit, breathe some life into them again as it is a neat idea, just needs something a bit more innovative to kick start it all again.
Leadership Expert
Executive PA
Executive PA

56 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i don't think that's too much to ask - all it takes a little thought from someone ABOVE THE AGE OF 13 and an interesting stunt can be created.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum