AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should there be a ban on marketing alcohol?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Should there be a ban on marketing alcohol? Reply with quote

Doctors are calling for a ban on marketing alcohol ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8242385.stm ), expressing concerns on sponsorship of sporting events and the like, which particularly target young people who might be less inclined to drink responsibly.

Should there be a ban, do you think?

Or should people simply be better educated on the risks?
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think you've been allowed to advertise smoking for a while and still people do it. Don't think you've ever been allowed to advertise drugs yet still people do it.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Nanny State thinks it's going to stop people from doing things, then let them continue to waste the tax payers' money on useless rules.

Let's ban all sorts of things, TV, computers, butter, eggs, meat, etc, because it's "bad" for us, and next week the "experts" will have a different take on it.

IMO, it's ridiculous. Smile
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, Kay... we're talking not about the banning of alcohol, but the banning of marketing it. But I'm sure you realised that.

I don't think things like butter and eggs are quite as clear cut as smoking and alcohol where the health implications are arguably more clear cut. Having said that, red wine supposedly has certain health benefits. Wine

That said, I'm not sure if banning marketing them is really going to have much effect. Better that we just educate people to the point that they don't want to do this most nights of the week.

So, if the solution isn't in controlling marketing, where does it lie?
Leadership Expert
Executive PA
Executive PA

56 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, looks like a cosy night in there at Sussex Uni.

I think that an absolute ban would be wrong... if anything it's just going to push people onto cheaper, crapper stuff.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else to consider of course is that it isn't just the young that drink to excess. Working people are just as guilty of stopping off at the pub too often after/during work, or having too many bottles of wine with their dinner. Just because they don't cause the social problems of binge drinkers doesn't mean they aren't drinking too excess just as much.

To be honest though, it's their bodies. The dangers of excess drinking are well known now so if people still want to do it, who are we to say otherwise? What I object to is paying for their healthcare, but then the NHS doesn't really cater for that does it.
Leadership Expert
Executive PA
Executive PA

56 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I certainly think the NHS will be picking up the tab when 20 years on they're in the hospital suffering from liver failure.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leadership Expert wrote:
Well, I certainly think the NHS will be picking up the tab when 20 years on they're in the hospital suffering from liver failure.

What I meant is that the healthy often end up paying for the unhealthy, which seems an odd way of going about things, but I shall relent before going off on a libertarian rant Cool
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing is certain - we're all going to die some day. The British government would be better turning its attention to sorting out the economy rather than playing at being nanny.

Does it matter whether companies are allowed to market cigarettes and alcohol? I would say that it doesn't. I guess Dave has probably seen as many adverts for cigarettes as I have but he's never smoked and I do. Did the adverts or marketing make any difference? I don't think so.

There have been times in my life where I've not been subjected to any adverts or marketing at all (living in remote areas). It didn't change my attitude or behaviour in respect to drinking and smoking at all. Aha! Perhaps the damage was done when I was younger? In which case let's ban marketing messages to anyone who is under 25, or should that be 30? Or let's just ban advertising. Or let's ban plastic shoes. If I become Prime Minister, I will ban beards! How's that for a manifesto? (Sorry, was that sexist? Perhaps I should've said personifesto.)

Urghh. I've had enough of this nonsense. The best thing to do is to escape to a country without all the silly stuff. Yeah, I know, it's not that simple really because other countries have their own problems too.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...What I meant is that the healthy often end up paying for the unhealthy...

So? In society you give and take. I don't have kids or own a car. I can't opt-out of the costs - political, environmental, and financial - of the fact that other people do these things.

Just give me a glass of wine, a fag, and a good book and I'll sit quietly. Deprive me of these, or grudge me them, and I'll start looking more closely at the damage other people are doing around me. (This is me getting onto my non-smoking flights soap box now. Laughing )
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seems an odd way to go about things. Surely the goal of the NHS isn't to treat the sick but to promote healthy living, ie get as many people as possible not using the NHS as possible. Yet taxation isn't linked to your use of the system at all.

I read of a scheme last week, I think it was in Asia somewhere, whereby doctors were paid not when they treated someone but when they didn't. So every day the patient was fit and healthy, the doctor got paid. When they were being treated, the doctor didn't get paid. The aim being to encourage doctors to make their patients healthy rather than simply treating them when they got sick.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...doctors were paid not when they treated someone but when they didn't.

What a fantastic idea! It's so much better than being in the pay of the big pharmaceutical companies who pay according to how much of their drugs the doctor can push onto their patients.

Just a thought - where did this term "patient" come from? Is it because of the long waiting lists or something?
Leadership Expert
Executive PA
Executive PA

56 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I never noticed until this debate flared up in the media - that Alc adverts can't depict anyone under the age of 25. Very interesting. Also rather weird - because at that age, you can look 35 yrs old, or still 18 to be honest. It's not like 25 its a very obvious and specific looking age group.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, 25 is a very strange age to choose as the threshold. In India you have to be over 25 to drink in a restaurant (legally). Strange, I know, but it's a fact.

In Thailand the age of consent for sex is quite high (not sure what it is, maybe 21?).

And in Scotland you can get married at 16, but not drive a car till you're 17, and not vote till you're 18.

Where is the sense in all this?
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose by having that age limit of 25, you're unlikely to get people that look like they're 14-18. Lower the threshold to 18 or 21 and you'll find people that look like they are in their mid-teens which I suppose isn't good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Sales & Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum