AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Managing social media

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Managing social media Reply with quote

I may have raised this topic before, so forgive me if I have but... how do you go about managing all your social media activities?

We have Twitter... Facebook... now Google+... then, for those that use it, there's the likes of LinkedIn, ecademy... maybe even MySpace and others for some of you. And, in our field of work, there are also niche-specific channels.

And to top that off, some of us have several businesses or brands so are having to manage multiple accounts on each of the above. Maybe even find the time to blog once in a while, too.

And then there's the 'real work' that we've somehow got to get done in the day, as well.

What's the best way of managing it all...?!
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that a combination of Netvibes and RSS feeds works well for me. Various different dashboards on Netvibes for different subject areas, Google Reader for RSS, lists for Twitter, checking references to me on social media pretty much covers it. :)

Phil
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Netvibes... wow, thanks for that. Wasn't aware.
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Netvibes is a genius resource - it's the one single thing that I simply cannot do without. I have several dashboards, RSS feeds, widgets, private pages, public pages, the works. My public stuff - in case anyone wants to look, is at http://www.netvibes.com/philbradley
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, looking good so far. At this rate, I think I'll make it my default page for when I launch my browser.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil

Struggling a little with Netvibes and have been wondering about iGoogle. To be honest, I'm not madly keen on either as I'm finding it difficult to get them to properly do what I want. Is Netvibes much better?

Basically, I'd like to do something along the following lines:

PERSONAL STUFF (HOME & WORK) - to default to here initially

Link to Google calendar (would like this to be my 'default' page)
Personal email, Google+
Weather forecast
Links to RSS feeds relating to my football team and other stuff of personal interest
Links to photography interests I have
Links to places where I promote some of our websites
etc.

UK TRAVEL - http://www.ukseries.com

Link to Gmail
Links to various admin pages that I need to attend to (eg. freelancer-submitted content that needs to be moderated, submissions to uktraveloffers.com, etc.)
Links to Wordpress posts that I need to approve
Links to Wordpress comments that I need to approve
Links to social media (FB, Twitter, etc.)

Links to keywords that I like to monitor (be it on Twitter, on blogs, on news articles or whatever...)

LUXURY TRAVEL - http://www.aluxurytravelblog.com

Link to Gmail

Links to keywords that I like to monitor (be it on Twitter, on blogs, on news articles or whatever...)

KENDAL COTTAGES - http://www.kendalcottages.com

Link to Gmail
Links to availability calendars to update
Links to forums that I participate in
Links to blogs that I like to post on
A list of current 'topics' from RSS feeds for forums/blogs (where available) that I like to participate in

I can see that I can do most of this with both but with Netvibes I wasn't seeming to find any simple way to just insert some simple 'bookmarks' or links to items of interest. This seemed to be easier with iGoogle (but possibly just because I haven't found the right widget within Netvibes) but then I wasn't madly keen on some of the restraints I seem to be faced with with iGoogle either, particularly the limitations of the gadgets they offer which seem to be few in number.

I can see the potential in all of this, but am not sure that I'm implementing it all properly just yet.

Any tips? Smile
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul wrote:
Hi Phil
PERSONAL STUFF (HOME & WORK) - to default to here initially

Link to Google calendar (would like this to be my 'default' page)
Personal email, Google+
Weather forecast
Links to RSS feeds relating to my football team and other stuff of personal interest
Links to photography interests I have
Links to places where I promote some of our websites
etc.

Yes, this is all easy to do. This is basically going to be your 'General' tab. In order to import a Google Calendar you need to have the HTML code for it, and you need to check out the Add feature, and find an HTML option. You can cut and paste your HTML code into it and import the calendar that way. I actually have a specific tab for mine (you can see it in netvibes.com/philbradley

There's an email option for loading the headers from your Gmail, and there are various weather widgets. RSS feeds are easy - simply grab the URL of the feed, click on add content, choose RSS feed, paste the URL in and you're done. Photography - there are flicker links, either for your own stuff, that of friends or keywords - again you can work with widgets or RSS feeds for this. Links to places you promote your websites will come under your bookmarks.

paul wrote:

UK TRAVEL - http://www.ukseries.com

Link to Gmail
Links to various admin pages that I need to attend to (eg. freelancer-submitted content that needs to be moderated, submissions to uktraveloffers.com, etc.)

Not done the W/press stuff - if they're available as RSS add as a feed. If it's by email, I'd be inclined to create another Gmail account and filter to that, and then create a new email widget for those.

paul wrote:

Yes, I do this - either by Google RSS feeds, or by having search engine widgets - if you have a search set up in there already the search engine should re-run the search every hour or so with new stuff for you. There are options for Twitter and Facebook as well - you can run accounts for them directly via the Netvibes page. Should work the same with your other stuff. Either have all of those (Luxury Travel etc) as tabs or as different dashboards as you prefer.

paul wrote:

I can see that I can do most of this with both but with Netvibes I wasn't seeming to find any simple way to just insert some simple 'bookmarks' or links to items of interest. This seemed to be easier with iGoogle (but possibly just because I haven't found the right widget within Netvibes) but then I wasn't madly keen on some of the restraints I seem to be faced with with iGoogle either, particularly the limitations of the gadgets they offer which seem to be few in number.

Bookmarks take some getting your head around. The bookmark option is common across all of your tabs, and at first it does look as though you can't customise it. However, what you do is work with tags. So you'd have a few bookmarks for personal stuff, and tag it as 'Personal' and then other bookmarks tagged as other things. When you create new tabs across the top of netvibes and add in widgets in, your bookmark widget can be copied across. Simply go to the new tab, click on the appropriate tag in bookmarks and just those pages you've bookmarked will show up on that page. ALL your bookmarks are there, and you can switch between them if you want.

Hope that helps - it's easier to do than to explain! If you need any more, just ask!

Phil.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Phil.

Actually, I made an OK start with Netvibes and worked out the calendar and RSS feeds OK. The bit I couldn't seem to figure out was how to just insert some simple links or bookmarks. In the case of our UK travel sites, for instance, I just have some (password-protected) links I'd like to go to frequently...

For instance, we have freelancers who regularly submit content to our UK attraction website and I need to go in and approve/edit/reject those submissions.

We also have people (hoteliers, PR companies and the like) submit offers to our UK travel offers website and I need to go in and approve/edit/reject those submissions.

It'd also be handy to have a link that takes straight into the admin of our UK travel blog so that I can go in there and approve/edit/reject comments and/or do some blog posts.

...and various other stuff like that.

They are just a series of simple links that I'd like to group together with a title such as "UKseries stuff to do", but I couldn't seem to find a simple widget to do that.

That had me wondering about alternatives such as iGoogle where I can easily find a rather crude gadget called 'box of links' which will do what I want, but everything is a bit basic on there, I feel...

So, I suppose what I'm asking is... is there a Netvibes widget that'll just allow me to create a custom list of links, do you know?

Thanks

Paul
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I should add that I found the bookmarks widget...

I want to have a different set of links on each tab... the bookmarks widget seems to display the same on each tab, rather than me being able to have multiple different instances of it.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhh... think I've got it now.

I can get around the problem by assigning tags, right?

OK, this is great. It's going to be quite a lot of work to end up with something that's doing everything I want it to (I guess it's actually never 'finished') but I can see how this is ultimately going to be REALLY helpful in making me more efficient with my time... at least, I hope so.
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got a Firefox folder called "Daily" and each day i work through the bookmarks in it
This includes Linkedin, Hootsuite (Twitter), Facebook, Google Analytics, RSS feeds in Google Reader plus Aardvark & 1-2 other forums

In some cases there isn't an RSS feed to read news in Google Reader so I have an Outlook folder receiving daily email alerts. Or I read the Twitter feed.

I was receiving alerts of new Twitter followers via Outlook using Topify until recently but the service has been suspended so I think I'll need to switch to using SocialOomph.

All of it takes little more than 10-15 mins per day
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now got Netvibes doing much of what I want it to do, and I'm really pleased with it.

I feel it's helping me structure my day more and keep on task with everything I've got to do.

I still need to add some stuff to it, and make a few tweaks here and there, but overall I'm really impressed and think it's much more flexible than the Google alternative...
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that it's proving so useful for you Paul! :lol:
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Phil... I'm definitely converted, thank you... it just took a couple of attempts to get there.

I was asked to do an 'interview' for a local newspaper recently and one of the questions was to recommend some favourite websites. Rather than go for the obvious Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc., I opted to answer with 'Netvibes'. Smile
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Netvibes - its on my list of things to try out Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum