AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How important are forum sig links?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: How important are forum sig links? Reply with quote

I'm trying a little experiment to see if I can learn anything from the experience.

I have a site that gets about a dozen UVs a day and is a PR0. Let's see if a sig link on AB will give it a boost.

I'm trying a similar thing on my own forum with a different site. That one gets about 50 UVs a day and has a PR4.

I'm not very bothered about either of these sites, I'm just curious to see if any changes will result from them getting the extra links.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you going to measure it, Kay?

If you're going simply on improvement in PR, then the just from PR0 to PR1 is far easier than from PR4 to PR5 as it's supposedly a logarithmic scale. In any case, does PR still get updated these days and does really bear that much of a reflection on whether a site is doing well? I haven't taken any notice of PR for years now...
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, good question about how to measure, Paul.

I agree that PR is pretty worthless, but it seems to impress other people sometimes, and the sites I'm on about are ones which I'd like to flip, rather than keep. So, they may become more valuable with more backlinks, more traffic, and a higher PR.

Also, one hasn't made a penny so far (because it's not been monetised at all), while the other one has made 35 or so in the last year. So income would also be a good way to measure things. Of course, then I'm not keeping all the variables the same. How will I know if it's the sig links or my increased efforts to monetise?

I'll just have to work on gut feeling but I won't be complaining if the revenue increases.

As I'm sure you're aware, there are also free appraisal sites around. The automated ones are, IMO, little more than toys, but they can give you a rough indication of what direction you're moving in. We shall see... I'll report back on any findings.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay wrote:
I agree that PR is pretty worthless, but it seems to impress other people sometimes...

True, although far, far fewer than it once did, I would have thought. I'd imagine that most people who are in the business of seriously buying websites these days don't pay it much attention.

Kay wrote:
Also, one hasn't made a penny so far (because it's not been monetised at all), while the other one has made 35 or so in the last year. So income would also be a good way to measure things. Of course, then I'm not keeping all the variables the same. How will I know if it's the sig links or my increased efforts to monetise?

...and of course there are many other factors at play. The nature of what you post, for instance. I'm sure you'll try to be consistent in that regard but it's not easy when you might be talking about different things and to different people.

I'm sure you could run a test of some kind but I just don't really see how you can easily quantify it all (reliably, at least)...
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really hoping to sell websites as such, although there is a bit of development on them. It's the domains themselves which I'm interested in selling.

I can go on a domainers' forum to try to sell, but they're all like me - trying to buy cheap and sell for more. And some of them are a darn site better at it than I am, but I'm learning. I'm looking to sell to an "end-user" (see, I'm picking up the jargon!) rather than a domainer.

Either a company will perceive the name as a must have, or someone will see that it could be a nice little site for them. Either way, it's better to make the sites look a little bit more attractive to give a small idea of potential.

Of course, there's another variable - website promotion - and I don't think sig links will be enough. For the sake of my little experiment, though, I'm prepared to do nothing more to the sites for two or three months just to see what, if any, difference they make.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're a member of seoMoz you could use their trustrank score to measure the changes.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tip. Thanks, Adi.
Mckechnies
Secretary
Secretary

21 ants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kay,

Like Paul said, PR doesn't really get updated much these days, I think its like once in ever 3-4 months, guess thats like every quarter? how boring is that! SO yeah, you'll most likely see the PR0 site go to a PR1 but the other, I doubt it...

IMO, sig links help provide backlinks, especially if its from a forum or site related to your website then that way it carries more weigh. The more backlinks you have (which weigh quite good) would also help in getting your search ranking a little higher up which could increase your traffic as well. Every now and then sig links would also provide human traffic to your website (but nothing spectular if you ask me). Also don't forget to use nice anchor texts for your sig links.

Good luck with your experiment and would love to know the results myself.

P.S

I also use mozRank too from SEOmoz, havent tried mozTrust cos I'm not PRO yet...
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that no one has raised the "no follow" "do follow" issue.
Mckechnies
Secretary
Secretary

21 ants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your building links solely for backlinks then no follow doesn't really matter. But if your trying to get link juice then thats when you worry about no follows.
For me, I'm more interested in backlinks so I don't really worry about no follows much. But thats just my opinion.
georgep
Executive
Executive

221 ants

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm surprised that no one has raised the "no follow" "do follow" issue.

that was what I was wondering about. Do links from a sig even count for anything else then maybe a user clicking on it?

Stuff With Animals, Thlog
haiwin
Secretary
Secretary

20 ants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dofollow forum sig will increase your backlink,good
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'll find many forums that offer dofollow sig links nowadays,will you?
Mckechnies
Secretary
Secretary

21 ants

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, haven't found any recently.

And if anyone has, please do share...

Wait a minute, the sig links here are dofollow, right??
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware. our expat forum has do follow sig links - but only for site admins. Twisted Evil

Don't quote me on that as I might have been misinformed. Getting any info out of the technical dept is like pulling teeth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum