AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Twitter - do you use your own name?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Twitter - do you use your own name? Reply with quote

I've been educating accountants in the need to stop hiding behind their company name.
Their natural desire is to setup a Twitter account under their company name rather than their own name

I'm very critical of this approach suggesting we buy into the individual not their company.
I don't care about their company ABC & Co but do care about them as an individual
I don't connect with Twitter accounts unless i can see who the person is that owns the @

Any thoughts on using your own name in your Twitter @ rather than your company?
Martyn
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really good question, Martyn. But I'm not the right person to answer it. I hate Twitter and people talking AT me and being expected to talk AT them.
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay wrote:
That's a really good question, Martyn. But I'm not the right person to answer it. I hate Twitter and people talking AT me and being expected to talk AT them.

You can apply it to Facebook too
Facebook has one single profile - you
You need to be yourself to build friends, whether they're social, business or family

If you have no friends, who is going to "Like" your Facebook business page?
People like you then like your related business cause its an extension of you
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martynh wrote:

That's often true and I can see where you are coming from... BUT it is possible for people to like your business without having the slightest clue as to who's behind it.

I have 5 Twitter accounts and not one of them uses my own name.
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul wrote:
martynh wrote:

That's often true and I can see where you are coming from... BUT it is possible for people to like your business without having the slightest clue as to who's behind it.

I have 5 Twitter accounts and not one of them uses my own name.

if you sell a definable product like sweets then the person behind the product is less important
i guess your products fall into that category Paul
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm...

Tell me a product that can't be defined.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can see what Martyn is getting at here.

Take Not Delia as an example - Not Delia is me. The blog will sink or swim because of my personality and whether people love me or hate me. (I've found there's not a lot of middle ground on this one. Laughing )

If I'm running a site to promote or sell something, it's best to keep me out of it, so I write factual articles about whatever has to be promoted.

Twitter aside, it's a question on whether you are promoting yourself or if you ought to keep the 'me' out of it.

I'm also not sure about what product can't be defined. Me, perhaps? Twisted Evil
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In larger companies this is a bigger issue because you get into whether you are tweeting as yourself or a representative of your employer, plus what happens to your account if you move on?
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just in larger companies, Adi. Despite what I wrote earlier about Not Delia being me, it's Dave who tweets for ND, because I dislike using Twitter.

In cases such as you cited, guess you just have to set up different accounts for different purposes.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking the personal approach does tend to work better, so rather than Dell Customer Support, you'd have Bob from Dell Customer Support, or something like that.
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay wrote:
I think I can see what Martyn is getting at here.

Take Not Delia as an example - Not Delia is me. The blog will sink or swim because of my personality and whether people love me or hate me. (I've found there's not a lot of middle ground on this one. Laughing )

If I'm running a site to promote or sell something, it's best to keep me out of it, so I write factual articles about whatever has to be promoted.

Twitter aside, it's a question on whether you are promoting yourself or if you ought to keep the 'me' out of it.

I'm also not sure about what product can't be defined. Me, perhaps? Twisted Evil

spot on Kay
as an example my main Facebook page is not Get Above The Fold, but Martyn Hodgson
my "product" is me as i sell my services

if i were selling widgets I'd promote my company not me
Drachsi
Executive PA
Executive PA

136 ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Use a pseudonym Reply with quote

I created the pseudonym Drachsi, which is used to post to Blogs and Forums. I now have created a website with that name and find on searching Google I have over 5,000 references. seems like if you can create specific name, and use it, then all links can come back to your website
Drachsi
<web address removed>
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really 'get' what you are saying, Drachsi. I don't think anyone would dispute that if you just came out with a unique 'word' and used that word to post on blogs and forums, and created an associated website to link to... then, of course, Google will recognise it. That's basic SEO. I'm not sure I see the purpose as I'd sooner put effort into optimising for a word that people search for, but hey ho.

What's being discussed here is entirely different. The topic is primarily about Twitter and whether it is better to have a personal association with your Twitter account.

Despite what my responses might suggest, I agree with Martyn and others that having your own name associated with your Twitter account is probably an effective strategy. It gives a less distant association with whatever you are promoting. I don't actually feel it's the be-all and end-all, though, but that maybe has more to do with the industry I'm in, and what I use my Twitter accounts for.
Drachsi
Executive PA
Executive PA

136 ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul wrote:
I don't really 'get' what you are saying, Drachsi. I don't think anyone would dispute that if you just came out with a unique 'word' and used that word to post on blogs and forums, and created an associated website to link to... then, of course, Google will recognise it. That's basic SEO. I'm not sure I see the purpose as I'd sooner put effort into optimising for a word that people search for, but hey ho.

What's being discussed here is entirely different. The topic is primarily about Twitter and whether it is better to have a personal association with your Twitter account.

Despite what my responses might suggest, I agree with Martyn and others that having your own name associated with your Twitter account is probably an effective strategy. It gives a less distant association with whatever you are promoting. I don't actually feel it's the be-all and end-all, though, but that maybe has more to do with the industry I'm in, and what I use my Twitter accounts for.

Thanks for your comments, I guess Twitter is that same as all the other social networks, A unique name is important. I see you have 5 twitter accounts, why would you do that and how does it help?

Regards

Drachsi
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I do it because they're each for different purposes.

I have another for our main group of sites.

I have one for offers associated with those sites.

I have one for one of my blogs.

I have one for my other business.

And I have one other for another batch of sites we have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum