AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are link swaps worthwile
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Ryan
Executive PA
Executive PA

67 ants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Are link swaps worthwile Reply with quote

I know Google is on the case about links and their value.

However in the last week I have had two requests from decent sized web 'organisations' to do link exchanges.

I have taken up one as the link from their site seems well worth it to me on the face of it.

Is this worth doing now or in the long run?
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very difficult question, Bill.

I don't do link swaps because I don't think it's a good way to go about SEO. That's just a gut feeling and I don't have evidence to back it up. I link to things I like and they link to me if they like what I do.

Link swaps seem so terribly 1990s. I would be suspicious of anyone asking for a link swap - it would send the message to me that they don't know what they're doing.

If you can make a relationship with a good site, then that's worth doing. But don't swap links with any Joe Soap. Who cares? You'll only reduce the value of your own site(s).
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth doing a few selective reciprocal link exchanges but definitely don't do it to excess. You'd be better off - IMHO - just putting your energies into improving your site and making it something that people will naturally want to link to anyway.
searchsouth
Secretary
Secretary

11 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is still value for link exchanges, but I wouldn't be particularly active in seeking them.

If I'm approached by someone who has a site on a related subject to mine, then I'd certainly exchange links (just as long as I think that link would be useful to visitors at my own site).

Would I get a massive SEO benefit? No, I don't think so - but I don't think that it would lead to penalties either.
Old Welsh Guy
President
President

2041 ants

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tests show that reciprocals still work. As mentioned though, the degree of success is the big question.
Mark Johnson
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the other posters, link swaps do not offer much SEO benefit. If you must do this, try to leverage the method by creating a separate links only page for the purpose. Do a bit of optimization for that page to increase page rank and approach only reputable sites for possible link swaps using that page.
wadeinni
Secretary
Secretary

15 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone naturally wants to link to your site that's a great thing. It shows that someone other than yourself see value and relevance in your content. I get tons of these link exchange requests every week for my site and to be honest I get very turned off by them. Some don't even bother to mention the name of my site in their request which really wouldn't make a difference to me anyway. Link exchange is an old method rarely considered by true SEOs who know what they're doing. I would Er on the side of caution and up-to-date SEO and not do it. If the big search engines aren't praising it as an seo advantage why should you.
Old Welsh Guy
President
President

2041 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wadeinni wrote:
If someone naturally wants to link to your site that's a great thing. It shows that someone other than yourself see value and relevance in your content. I get tons of these link exchange requests every week for my site and to be honest I get very turned off by them. Some don't even bother to mention the name of my site in their request which really wouldn't make a difference to me anyway. Link exchange is an old method rarely considered by true SEOs who know what they're doing. I would Er on the side of caution and up-to-date SEO and not do it. If the big search engines aren't praising it as an seo advantage why should you.

So are you saying then that it is a bad idea to link between 2 sites that have complimentary services that can share customers, but are not in competition? Sorry but I have to disagree. This is what SEO's who KNOW what they are doing would do.

people want rankings, but they don't! They want the TRAFFIC those rankings bring. A good healthy link exchange will drive traffic to your site (if the link exchange is in content and not on a crap links page) PLUS it will drive links juice. Smile
wadeinni
Secretary
Secretary

15 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Welsh Guy wrote:
wadeinni wrote:

So are you saying then that it is a bad idea to link between 2 sites that have complimentary services that can share customers, but are not in competition? Sorry but I have to disagree. This is what SEO's who KNOW what they are doing would do.

people want rankings, but they don't! They want the TRAFFIC those rankings bring. A good healthy link exchange will drive traffic to your site (if the link exchange is in content and not on a crap links page) PLUS it will drive links juice. Smile

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I have personally linked out to other sites that had something of use for my users but not looking for them to reciprocate. Good SEOs will know who's linking to them. They know that from watching their web analytics tools. If your site has value it's up to them whether or not they want to deep link back to a specific page. If you're gunning for referral traffic and link juice there are much better ways to do this. In terms of SEO benefit, Post Panda you're not gonna be seeing much benefit from link juice flow because it's just not passing through reciprocal links anymore. Check out the Google forum, Matt Cutts has mentioned before that link exchange is not an efficient way to build link juice anymore. The new focus is towards social authority and shareability of your content even for products and services websites, and also good old fashioned one way linkbacks from a relevant HIGH QUALITY page. Once again why use outdated tactics you know will eventually hurt you in the new SEO Post Panda Landscape?
Old Welsh Guy
President
President

2041 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We shall agree to disagree then Smile

I do think that you read my post with a pre conceived idea of what i was saying however. Matt cutts said that reciprocal linking is not a good way to build link juice. great stuff. But what he was referring to (and i think you are referring to) and what I suggested are completely different things entirely.

Best get out my skywriter and tell the world NEVER link to a site that links to you it will kill your site dead in the water Very Happy

I am just teasing you here, as you say,. we shall agree to disagree.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, OWG, I'm with wadeinni on this one. He's saying pretty much the same as I would.

There's no harm in swapping links with complementary sites, but there's no great SEO benefit or link juice in it either these days. As you say, though, it's traffic that's wanted not necessarily ranking. (BTW, I heard there was get another ranking update very recently.)

I agree about good links in context on site content - that's gotta be a lot more valuable than anything on a crappy links page.
wadeinni
Secretary
Secretary

15 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Welsh Guy wrote:
We shall agree to disagree then Smile

I do think that you read my post with a pre conceived idea of what i was saying however. Matt cutts said that reciprocal linking is not a good way to build link juice. great stuff. But what he was referring to (and i think you are referring to) and what I suggested are completely different things entirely.

Best get out my skywriter and tell the world NEVER link to a site that links to you it will kill your site dead in the water Very Happy

I am just teasing you here, as you say,. we shall agree to disagree.

LOL, OWC no problem at all my friend. I love quality discussions with members like yourself who actually have something of value to say others. We might be on different sides of the Atlantic too. it's lunchtime here on the US east coast so I'm gonna go grab a bite and hop back on a little later. I'm new here but I like Aardvark already. See you soon everyone.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to hear from you too. I hope you have a great lunch and when you hop back, how about introducing yourself? (Introductions forum at the top) It would be good to be able to get to know you better. Cool
Old Welsh Guy
President
President

2041 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should clarify my statement.

Can a reciprocal link be good for SEO? - i believe yes it can be, but the reciprocation should be genuine, and not contrived. The whole google backrub algo is based on citation. It uses various sub algos

HITS for example uses hubs and authorities, and although a pre backrub algo, it (or something like it) is widely believed to be part of the google overall ranking system.

it has to be accepted that there will be reciprocation, but it is the over enthusiastic reciprocation, and/or the badly done reciprocation (links pages) that make it worthless.

If I run a site that is semantclally related to another site, and I link to a couple of his pages from within the content of mine (because they are related and a good source), and he links to a couple of mine from different pages again for the same reason, then those links will absolutely not be worthless in the eyes of the algorithm (all other things being equal).

If I link to his homepage from my link page and he does the same, then we just as well have whistled Dixie for all the SEO benefit we will receive Smile

Do I actively look for link exchanges? No absolutely not. But I do get links from good sources, and sometimes if it makes sense for the visitor, I will reciprocate.

Hopefully that has meademy position (a little more time today to reply properly).
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He already has, Kay (with his first post)... see here: http://www.aardvarkbusiness.net/chat/viewtopic.php?p=81219
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum