AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Google+ dead?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Internet Issues Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read a couple of pieces over the weekend saying that growth has stalled, despite the enormous push Google is giving the platform.
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
Read a couple of pieces over the weekend saying that growth has stalled, despite the enormous push Google is giving the platform.

Doesn't matter in the slightest, because Google isn't playing that game. For once Google has a reasonable social media strategy, and they're slowly working through it. They're very tightly beginning to tie social to search by way of the new use of the + functionality, the emphasis on G+ profiles, the ability to add to circles, the increased use of a G+ profile on the SERPs and the availability of the resource right across the Google range.

Companies are going to have to go for G+ business pages, like it or not, in the same way that they're creating Facebook pages. However, we have to be slightly careful when it comes to comparing the two networks because they're only very superficially similar. Facebook wants to bring the internet to you while you stay inside their walled garden, emphasizing the social aspect of the product, while G+ is concerned with transforming your relationship with search. Google can change search, Facebook is finding it much harder to do that, and it's had to partner with people like Bing and Blekko in order to do it.

It's going to be much easier for people to find the G+ profile for a company page simply by sticking a + in front of the name, than the Facebook approach of search, find and like. They're both similar however when it comes to the fact that websites really don't matter quite so much in the way that they used to, and the way forward is quite clear - embrace social media or ignore it at your peril.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very helpful, Phil. I'm going to need more time to think about this as I've not embraced social media. I can't be bothered with it. But I'll take your advice on board and see if change really is inevitable and that tweeting, twitting, liking and all that really is necessary for business survival.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philb wrote:
adigaskell wrote:

Doesn't matter in the slightest, because Google isn't playing that game. For once Google has a reasonable social media strategy, and they're slowly working through it. They're very tightly beginning to tie social to search by way of the new use of the + functionality, the emphasis on G+ profiles, the ability to add to circles, the increased use of a G+ profile on the SERPs and the availability of the resource right across the Google range.

Companies are going to have to go for G+ business pages, like it or not, in the same way that they're creating Facebook pages. However, we have to be slightly careful when it comes to comparing the two networks because they're only very superficially similar. Facebook wants to bring the internet to you while you stay inside their walled garden, emphasizing the social aspect of the product, while G+ is concerned with transforming your relationship with search. Google can change search, Facebook is finding it much harder to do that, and it's had to partner with people like Bing and Blekko in order to do it.

It's going to be much easier for people to find the G+ profile for a company page simply by sticking a + in front of the name, than the Facebook approach of search, find and like. They're both similar however when it comes to the fact that websites really don't matter quite so much in the way that they used to, and the way forward is quite clear - embrace social media or ignore it at your peril.

Doesn't seem like much of a strategy if people aren't going to use it in any great numbers until they're blackmailed into doing so because they won't achieve decent search listings if they don't.
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well of course Google isn't going to put it in those terms are they? That's just my cynical take on it. However, if you'd like a positive spin:

Googleplus is integrated into the users search experience to further enhance the value and accuracy of their searches. Being able to + a company will allow searchers to get directly to the official website of a company, quickly and without fuss. The increased use of the +1 button means that your friends and colleagues can highlight the importance of your website, bringing it to their attention - not by anonymous search results, but directly by friends and people that you trust. At Google we know that so much data is now being published we're using the +1 button, circles and Google+ to overcome all the problems of traditional search engine. The more than you and your company can embrace Google+ to enrich the accurate knowledge and information on the web, the more you are helping yourself, your friends and your colleagues.

Any better?

And of course, people HAVE been blackmailed into spending large sums of money on SEO in order to get a good ranking with the Google SERP and that hasn't caused any problems. It's a tactic that works pretty well.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people were paying that SEO money to Google itself then that would be a problem because you'd be saying to people that to rank well you need to be paying us.

Now if Google are going to be using social rankings from ALL social media, with Google+ just one part of it, then that's one thing, but I suspect Google will only use data from +. That's anti-competitive behaviour.
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
If people were paying that SEO money to Google itself then that would be a problem because you'd be saying to people that to rank well you need to be paying us.

Now if Google are going to be using social rankings from ALL social media, with Google+ just one part of it, then that's one thing, but I suspect Google will only use data from +. That's anti-competitive behaviour.

Hey - it's entirely up to you mate, I really don't care. Use it or don't.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone would think one of you two was a Liverpool fan... Wink

Anyway.... Google+'s "death" is one of the most read stories on the BBC site today:

"Google+ was supposed to be a "Facebook killer". Some now say it's already dead - but the search giant says it is just getting started."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15829333
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah that explains it Paul Laughing

I've no problem with folks using it because it's fantastic, but if people are only using it because it'll benefit their SERPS then I can't see it ever taking off. It's one thing to get business people trying it out for fear of being left behind, the key will be to drag the mainstream across from Facebook.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rediff.com/business/report/google-to-integrate-social-info-with-search/20111125.htm

"global search giant Google is looking to leverage the trend by integrating information available on social networking platforms with search results."
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also http://www.stateofsearch.com/how-google-is-pushing-google-in-your-face/ is worth a read.

Quote:
Google Plus is here, and whether you like it or not, it is here to stay. Everything points in the direction that Google has taken up Plus as being the core of their ‘new way of working’. Google Plus is their “New Pagerank”.

Google Plus is the core for all the data Google gathers about its users. With that data they will try to make the internet as personal as possible. I’ve explained this right after the launch of Google Plus.

But for Google to get that data and to make that data as valuable as possible they need people to use Plus, or at least to take notice of Google Plus. And even though the number of registered users is high, the activity still seems low. So Google is doing everything in their power to push Plus right into our faces. And that pushing is an indication of what is coming.

adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of which is fair enough. My question is whether these changes will be good for us or good for Google.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
My question is whether these changes will be good for us or good for Google.

I'd be surprised if ultimately they weren't good for Google.

As for whether they're good for us, I suppose that depends on the individual. If you're in 'the business' and using Google+ from the outset to promote yourself, and it does take off, then it's probably going to be good for you. If it doesn't take off, then so be it. You might lose some investment of time (and money if you hire someone, I guess).

Of course, most people using social networks are just 'laypeople' using the likes of Facebook to keep in touch with friends, etc. (I hardly ever use these sites for this purpose - I don't really have the time and most of my true friends don't bother with them at all.) The big thing for Google, I suppose, is whether these people will make the shift. I don't see it happening straight away but I could foresee it potentially happening over time.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll only be good for people 'in the business' though if lay people (otherwise known as our customers) actually use it. I just can't see the motivation for people that aren't in the business to shift everything across from Facebook at the moment.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I agree with you about the motivation bit (although I'd question whether the laypeople are 'customers' for all the people using it for business). But I think the last three words of what you wrote are crucial.

With time, I'm thinking it could happen.

The more and more I use it, I actually quite like Google+.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Internet Issues Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum