AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Google+ dead?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Internet Issues Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will be the crunch. I kinda see parallels with Twitter to an extent. Those in the business have taken the time to familiarize themselves with it for fear that if they don't then they could be left out. Some of them no doubt use the service now because they enjoy what it offers.

For the layman however usage of Twitter has remained relatively small as I don't think they have the same motivation to embark on what is a reasonable learning curve.

Psychologically, people already use Facebook and in the main I think they know it well and like what it offers. For them to shift to G+ they'd a) need it to offer something fundamentally different to Facebook, and b) need it to be very easy to understand what they get out of it

I mean lets face it, most people won't be using these services to make money or raise their profile. That's not why most people use Facebook, they use it for something else entirely, and if they're quite happy doing that on Facebook it'll take something big to shift them.
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google doesn't do things that don't work in Google's favour. If Google doesn't make money out of something they close it down. What I find particularly interesting is that Google is rapidly decreasing search functionality at a scary rate. They are clearly set on a path to make complex searching next to impossible - they want to encourage simple sloppy searching so people don't think, they just accept what they are given. Of course, most 'lay people' aren't really searchers, so it's not something they'll consider. When they see a G+ profile in front of them in the search results, they'll just click on it regardless, and if it takes them to the Pepsi G+ page rather than the Facebook Pepsi page they won't worry, as long as the information and functionality is the same.

There's no doubt that Google is going to press this; it's too dangerous for them not to. They've had two disastrous attempts at social media, and this one has to work for them. Besides, at this stage they don't have to beat Facebook, merely to start catching them up. Google isn't in this for the short haul - it's quite clear, with the change in search, functionality, focus and closure of many aspects of the business that this is a long term strategy. I'm not quite prepared to say that in five years one of Facebook or Google won't exist in any realistic format, but it won't surprise me if that's the case.
satti
Secretary
Secretary

12 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: no Reply with quote

google + will survive. It will soon rval facebook and twitter. since it is associated with gmail, those who are in the offices will likely use g+ because facebook and other social sites are ban in schools and offices.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think the integration with Gmail and Google Accounts is a major issue that works to Google's advantage. Whenever you see a red number in the top right hand corner of the screen, it's hard not to click it, really. With Facebook, you only get those alerts if you are already on the FB website (aside from email alerts). With Google+, you're getting them regardless of which Google service you are using (so long as you are logged into your Google account).
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and let's not forget that Gmail's popularity has been steadily rising, too.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now G+ listings have been parachuted to the top of serps for brand searches.

http://mashable.com/2011/12/20/google-brand-pages-search/

At least Mashable have the courage to mention antitrust.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Microsoft's great fear was always that it would turn into IBM, which it viewed as a bureaucratic organization living off of past glories," says Kevin Werbach, a professor of legal studies and business ethics at Wharton. "Google's fear is that it will become Microsoft, which it views as a company that wins through bullying rather than technical prowess. Microsoft became what it feared. Google's challenge is to remain open and innovative after achieving Microsoft-like domination of its core market."

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article.cfm?articleid=2922
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adigaskell wrote:
At least Mashable have the courage to mention antitrust.

Is it an antitrust issue, though, if the branded page is only appearing when the brand is being searched for?

As I understand it - at least in this instance - the AT&T branded Google+ page is appearing in the search results when you search for "AT&T" and not when you search for related keywords...
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the issue will be if they're pushing the AT&T G+ page over their Facebook or Twitter page, even if those pages are more valuable to the user.
michaelK
Temp

4 ants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just wanted to say that Google plus is quite dead i guess.because every one just ignoring Google plus.Now a days people are ready to spent there time on Fb,Twitter, OR watching movie but they do get touch with g+.

Even I was not using G+ From Many days Razz
michaelK
Temp

4 ants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: no Reply with quote

satti wrote:
google + will survive. It will soon rval facebook and twitter. since it is associated with gmail, those who are in the offices will likely use g+ because facebook and other social sites are ban in schools and offices.

Yeah its true but do you really think they want to use G+.They are carrying mobile,and many portable devices by this are regularly touched with Fb and twitter.Its really very tuf for G+ to give a fight to face-book and twitter
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelK wrote:
Even I was not using G+ From Many days Razz

Just because you're not using it, doesn't mean that others aren't. Where's the data to back up your claim that everyone is just ignoring Google+?

I don't quite follow the reference to mobile devices in your second post. There's an app for Google Plus as well...
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google+ now has 62 million users and is on track to reach 400 million by the end of 2012, according to Paul Allen, founder of Ancestry.com and unofficial tracker of all things Google+.

Allen says that as of Dec. 27, there are about 625,000 new users are joining Google+ each day—and the growth will only accelerate. "If this rate of new signups (625k daily) continues then Google+ will reach 100 million users on Feb. 25th and 200 million users on August 3. They will finish 2012 with 293 million users," he wrote. "Most importantly, 700,000 Android devices are activated daily and this will become a very significant source of new users for Google+. That number will also grow next year."

http://www.marketingvox.com/google-growth-points-to-serious-facebook-competition-socnet-demand-is-big-enough-for-both-050321/?utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_source=mv&utm_medium=textlink&utm_term=continuereading
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the key will be how many of those new sign-ups become active and persistent users. If they sign up and then forget it then it isn't much use to Google. That's where Facebook is so strong at the moment because members are typically very active on the site. Twitter by contrast probably suffered with the opposite, with people signing up out of curiosity but then not using it a great deal.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google could face legal ramifications over its decision to exclude Facebook and Twitter from its social-search system, some experts say. There's no law specifically saying Google has to include other companies' social signals, but by favoring its own products, Google leaves itself open to an antitrust challenge, Jeff Roberts writes. "Google may have fueled another wave of paranoia and regulatory attention," he writes.

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-is-it-legal-for-google-to-shut-competitors-out-of-social-search/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Internet Issues Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum