AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting people to engage on Twitter, Facebook, G+ and blogs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Getting people to engage on Twitter, Facebook, G+ and blogs Reply with quote

We have some pretty popular websites, with good followings on various social media, as well as active (reasonably interesting, we think!) blogs...

BUT we seem to have a great deal of difficulty in getting people to engage. What's the secret?

How do we get people to comment on our blog posts?

How do we get people to comment on Facebook posts, retweet our tweets (or reply to them), and like or comment on our G+ posts...?

I'm not saying it doesn't happen... it just doesn't happen as much I would expect given the following we have in some of these areas, and I'm thinking we could do more to encourage that kind of participation and be more on 'talking terms' with our visitors.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't say we have vast engagement, but here are a few things I try and do.

On Facebook I try and post everything manually. Research has shown that automated feeds produce low engagement. Instead I post a couple of times a day with some stuff manually, often from 3rd party sites. Generally try and be as useful to followers as possible. I also try asking some questions, posting photos/videos etc. and mixing up the kind of content available.
parker
Secretary
Secretary

14 ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i too find that a bit of challenging. it makes you think that what you're writing isn't that any good.

But i do think that asking questions at the end of the blog works. sharing it via facebook and twitter then asking for people's opinions in a witty way can also work.
bossbuild
PA
PA

31 ants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way to get users to engage (depending on your business type) is to run a promotional offer, like a prize draw for clicking the +1 button or liking the facebook post, get your name entered into a prize draw. this is something my friend has done at the workware company he works for. they did this when +1 was first launched and added to their website, it has had a pretty good feedback rate so far from what i am aware.

Its an idea that could be used and carried onto many other business types i guess, with the prize draw prize being different depending on how much you are able to budget for a prize.

Hope this is helpful idea to work on!
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do find things like competitions tend to get plenty of re-tweets (and sometimes comments). My only reservation with that kind of marketing activity is that I think it has a tendency to attract compers rather than buyers.

This last week or so I have been trying to get a little more engagement and had a bit of a success with some blog posts that are asking people to give their opinion/vote. You can see an example here:

http://www.ukseries.com/blog/2011/10/a-to-z-of-the-uk-your-favourite-place-in-the-uk-beginning-with-the-letter-b/

22 comments so far (and I had to work for them a bit) but it's a lot better than what I usually get (zero), despite the pages getting traffic...

Last edited by paul on Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total
bossbuild
PA
PA

31 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would agree with you Paul that it is difficult at times to get users to just click the button, is really good to share and build on ideas with others though, if we find something that works well for us that could be of use i will make sure i post the information on what we did on here!
Mark Johnson
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Facebook, esp. with the new interface, I noticed that the majority of posts that get tons of comments are image posts. I also saw how Guy Kawasaki used images effectively with one liners as descriptions to generate massive response rate during his book launch. Yesterday, I saw the this image of a policeman trying to immobilize a dog by planting his knee on the dog' neck. That image got about 600+ comments in 2 days. What makes it even more amazing is that the image was shot a year ago!

Funny, interesting, or emotionally-engaging images - that's the ticket, in my opinion.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... but these images actually had nothing to do with his book...?
Mark Johnson
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Paul, his images were a mix of book-related photos and general interest photos (people he met while promoting the book, sample products, food, hockey, etc. I think it was successful because he managed to establish a connection between him and his audience. Someone who's not using photos on FB but is also successful at connecting is Tim Ferriss. He pots these practical questions once every 2 weeks (ex. "where can you find the best resto supplier in Hollywood?") and people respond, knowing it's all related to his current passion about diet and losing weight.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I suppose what I'm getting at is why people might respond to someone like him but, on another person's Facebook profile, the same thing might get ignored. There must be some tricks of the trade that maximise the chances of getting meaningful interactions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum