AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is email dead?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Internet Issues Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Is email dead? Reply with quote

Well... we already have a Is Google+ dead? thread, so I'd like to start a new one...

Is email dead?

Apparently Mark Zuckerberg has said it is.

On first viewing, this claim might seem rather extreme and I'm not sure that the BBC article linked above makes a strong case for demonstrating email's inefficiencies.

However, I did read something from Matt Cutts a month or so ago which struck a cord with me so I'll share that here and hopefully demonstrate how email could be lacking in some respects. On this blog post he wrote:

Quote:
[Goal:] Get my email under control. This is a recent goal, but it might be the most important. Email is flawed in a lot of ways. Some wise people have referred to it as a “to-do list that anyone can add to.” It’s typically a poor use of time: you’re often talking to someone 1:1 when those cycles would be better spent working on something that will help a broader range of people or to realize a broader goal. Emails can take a long time to craft compared to other ways to communicate. Email is near-universal, but it lacks good ways for better processing or prioritizing (e.g. “show me the five least useful mailing lists” I get). Lots of email is sent to too many people or is just trying to find the right person to ask a question. Email also encourages us to pay attention to things that are urgent at the expense of things that are important.

So... are there better alternatives to email out there? And are they likely to become more mainstream to the extent that email will take a back seat? I don't see it happening all that soon (and I don't see email experiencing a 'death' any time soon), but I do think its role could change over time.

What do you think?
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emails aren't perfect but they'll be around for a good while yet I think.
Bill Ryan
Executive PA
Executive PA

67 ants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as far as I am concerned. l
Lawyers have just discovered this new technology Rolling Eyes
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we take as the definition of 'dead' as 'not being developed any further' then it's something worth considering. In 'the old days' I would contact someone using email. However, these days I can use:
Instant chat room
Facebook
G+
Flickr mail
DM on Twitter
Messages via Forums
etc

Of course I can still use email or God Forbid a phone or letter. However, I still get a huge amount of information via email - many of my news curation services use that, as well as Google alerts. i can't see that changing any time soon.

So - to contact *people* email is weakened, but as a delivery mechanism it's still absolutely valuable.
Mark Johnson
Executive PA
Executive PA

59 ants

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No and I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. Some people can only be reached through email. These other services have caught up with or surpassed email usage but it still has its own place. In terms of future major overhaul of the medium I think that's a dead end. It's here to stay in its present form for better or worse.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The absolute best way to contact me is email, especially when I'm travelling. I hate using the phone, and I don't use any of the other services that Phil mentioned either. Yes, I know I post on forums but that's more for group discussions. If I need to contact someone, I'll email them. If I don't have their email address, then I would use the contact form on their website.
georgep
Executive
Executive

221 ants

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see me stop using email.

If i put my communication tools in order of importance then it would be:

1. email
2. sms / text messages
3. the rest (including phone calls)

Stuff With Animals, Thlog
DeniseTaylor
Secretary
Secretary

14 ants

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, email is crucial. For people who run the largest corporations on the Planet, posting broadly would probably be more effective and time efficient. Why spend time saying things to one person, when you can reach 200 or 2000 or 200,000?

But I'm not the Founder of anything that large, so I'll use email. ha ha
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same discussion about SMS years ago
Its now found a place as an enabling services joined to other services

Email has its place and is good when used right
I keep trying to get staff at my clients to use Skype for messaging instead of email, where they aren't on site to talk face to face i.e. remote UK salesmen, American, German or Japanese subsidiaries
Adopting such technology takes some people a long time. I never see what the barrier is.
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Skype offer anything that email doesn't? If not then I can't really see any advantage for them changing especially as it means yet another place to check for messages and another bit of software to install (if they're allowed to at all).

Could see it being more useful for international phone calls.

Trev
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trev wrote:
Does Skype offer anything that email doesn't? If not then I can't really see any advantage for them changing especially as it means yet another place to check for messages and another bit of software to install (if they're allowed to at all).

Could see it being more useful for international phone calls.

Trev

I use Skype for messaging - in effect instant texting over the web. I use this route where i want to ask a question / send a statement to someone remotely but don't necessarily want to engage in a 2 way conversation. The recipient picks it up immediately if online or when they go online. Just like Facebook chat actually.
It can't be beaten for free Skype to Skype phone calls over a headset allowing you to continue to work hands free on the PC.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use MSN Messenger, Facebook or GTalk to do the same... I have Skype on one machine but never use it.
georgep
Executive
Executive

221 ants

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only messaging i do these day is iMessage / sms
it is easy as i "always" have it with me

Stuff With Animals, Thlog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Internet Issues Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business ForumSport ForumTravel Forum