AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pinterest
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Pinterest Reply with quote

If you haven't heard of Pinterest yet - you soon will. It's a clever little site which is basically social bookmarking for images. It's useful on a personal level - to keep in a visual format all the images/diagrams etc that you find, but there's a valuable SEO aspect to it as well.

You create your own folders, and 'pin' images to them, share them with others, and can comment on images others have created. How can you use it? Images of holiday homes, recipes, clothes, humourous images and so on.

You can visit it at pinterest.com but at the moment it's in a closed beta, and you need an invite to join it. I have invites. Let me know if you want one, AND the email address you want me to use and I can send one your way.

Phil.
(Needless to say, no connection with the site other than happy user)
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please, Phil... always interested in what's out there.

My username here @dedicate.co.uk

Thanks Smile
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent. Let me know what you think of it!
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much, Phil... taking a look now.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I'd like to investigate further but it's not really letting me.

I had trouble registering but then managed to get in but... when I try to pin something, it doesn't appear to work - the button just says 'Pinning' when I click on it but never moves on from there. It also doesn't seem to post to my FB Wall, even though that's checked.

When I try to search for you, Phil... or anything as it happens... I just get:

Quote:
502 Bad Gateway

The server returned an invalid or incomplete response.

It looks interesting but it's proving difficult for me to delve any further at this stage. Are you experiencing the same problems?
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's suffering a little from the amount of interest it's getting at the moment. I've had the 500 message once or twice and it sometimes takes a while to pick up friends. Give it a while and persevere.. I think it's worth it in the long run! :)
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks... I'm going to give it a try later tonight when hopefully it's a little quieter as I'm seeming to get these 502 errors a lot now...

It does sound interesting. Thanks. Smile
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I've had a dabble and can see how it might have some potential.

I'm not sure I fully appreciate the SEO benefits just yet, but I can see people re-pinning items that I've pinned that carry a clickable URL, so I suppose I'm getting the word out there on one or two of our sites via that means. How likely that is to result in traffic, I'm not yet sure, but it can't do any harm.

If you're interested, I'm at http://pinterest.com/paulhjohnson/
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have some nice photos there, Paul. Very Happy

Phil, I'd like to do it but I can't even get my head around Twitter. All this twitting, tweeting, liking, sharing etc has just got too much for me. I'm letting my websites tick over without all that, although I'm still adding new content. (Dave does some Twitter stuff for us.)

I never thought it would come to this, but with all this new social media stuff, it's just got more enjoyable to be paid to research and write about something than it is to have to learn some new social media thing every day just for SEO or to get our sites in front of more eyeballs.

C'mon then. Tell me I'm wrong.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay wrote:

If you look carefully, you might even find one or two of them (under 'Luxury Travel') are your own, Kay, done for ALTB...!

It seems you can "re-pin" the photographs of others, with pinterest. Don't ask me how this all works from a copyright point of view. I would suspect it's a bit of a minefield.

Kay wrote:
Phil, I'd like to do it but I can't even get my head around Twitter. All this twitting, tweeting, liking, sharing etc has just got too much for me. I'm letting my websites tick over without all that, although I'm still adding new content. (Dave does some Twitter stuff for us.)

I never thought it would come to this, but with all this new social media stuff, it's just got more enjoyable to be paid to research and write about something than it is to have to learn some new social media thing every day just for SEO or to get our sites in front of more eyeballs.

You're wrong. Wink
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being serious for a moment, I only have to look at our site stats to see these sites coming up as our some of our main referrers... this tells me this whole social media malarkey isn't just a fad.

I think to ignore it all completely is potentially a little dangerous. I'm sure Phil will probably word it more forcibly, perhaps even saying it'd be suicidal... but, rather than put words into his mouth, I'll let him speak for himself. He's usually pretty good at doing that. Wink
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you look carefully, you might even find one or two of them (under 'Luxury Travel') are your own, Kay, done for ALTB...!

LOL! I was admiring my own photos - and just kidding you.

I've previously enjoyed my time on the internet - running websites and having a little internet business. It was my hobby long before it became a 'job'. Yes, I can pull in enough to make a living, but it's precarious and everything seems to change every day. Whilst I'd never want to be a wage slave, I'm quite happy now to take on work for someone else. I can leave all the management to them. All I have to do is deliver what I've agreed to do. I can do it at 4am if it suits me. I don't take on jobs which don't interest me, so essentially I'm being rewarded for doing stuff I like doing and which I relish the opportunity to do.

All is not lost, though. I've sold off a handful of my also-ran sites and am still going with the others. I suppose one option could be to outsource the social media side of it, just as I've outsourced some content writing.

I'm not ready to give up yet, just confused by the cacophony of new social media.
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay wrote:

Depends what your business is as to how applicable social media is
You've got a toolbox of things to promote your biz and Twitter, Facebook LinkedIn Blogs are in there. Who says you have to use them? Work out a strategy first and don't be led by tools just cause everyone else uses them
My strategy is quality over quantity and it hangs together a lot better. I don't have time or interest to be "managing" regular social media messages on a routine basis
I'm drumming up a lot of business through keeping active in selective LinkedIn groups. FB is now just for social use and its a lot more fun that way - I've binned over half my followers who were merely business acquaintances.
I have decided to use my blog for publishing testimonials, case studies and the odd quality article which also gets published in well respected places. Twitter gets fed my blogs and LinkedIn updates but little else - i think Twitter is good if you have a following who are keen to hear what you say and you like to chat. But I can't be bothered.
Don't be a slave to social media. Razz
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay wrote:
I suppose one option could be to outsource the social media side of it...

The silly thing is, Kay, I think you'd actually be quite good at it yourself. You're good at communicating what you want to say online - as I've seen you demonstrate on forums, in emails, etc. You say it as it is (or at least as you see it! Wink) and yet are open minded to discussion. You are good with the written word, and at 'chatting' on t'internet.

I don't think social media is as daunting as you seem to think it is. I didn't get Twitter at all at first... really couldn't see the point at all. But I almost forced myself to use it a bit as there seemed to be so much hype surrounding it, and gradually I got more into it and started to see its potential uses. I still don't profess to be good at it, but over time it has started to bring significant traffic and, as I see it, it'll continue to be significant for the foreseeable future.

According to Analytics, my top referring sites on my luxury travel blog are currently as follows:

1. google / organic
2. direct
3. t.co (Twitter's URL shortener)
4. facebook.com
5. stumbleupon.com (which I don't actually use myself, so don't know how that's come about)
6. twitter.com
7. telegraph.co.uk
8. bing / organic
9. plus.url.google.com (Google Plus)
10. yahoo / organic

So, lots of evidence there of social media creeping up to significant levels.

To be fair, though, item 1. still amounts to more visits than items 2. to 9. inclusive, so - to go full circle - perhaps you are OK (for now) just ignoring it altogether! Very Happy
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to pinterest... a question for Phil (or anyone else who might have the answer)... do you know if there's any means to upload multiple pins in significant volumes?

I'd love to be able to create a board called 'UK attractions' or similar, that listed all this lot:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site:ukattraction.com&num=100&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=0QjgTqi0A9T18QOntfXVBA&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CAwQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=653

...and, with each image, give the name of the attraction and a link to the relevant page on http://www.ukattraction.com for people to re-pin if it was an image that interested them.

There's something like 10,000 images on that domain.

I'm guessing the facility is not there at the moment (at least there doesn't appear to be any sign of it), but maybe it's something that's in the pipeline???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum