AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Google critical to online success?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Internet Issues Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Is Google critical to online success? Reply with quote

Everyone says "don't keep all your eggs in one basket" but that's very difficult to do when you primarily run your business online.

Sure... there are other search engines out there... but they have only a fraction of the search engine market share.

And sure... you can have multiple different websites to spread your risk... but they can all be hit at once with a single Google update.

And sure... you can try to do things with the likes of social media so you are less reliant upon Google...

BUT at the end of the day, Google is still highly important for most online businesses I know (as well as for many traditionally offline businesses, I would imagine).

Is a good performance on Google critical to online success? And, if it is, isn't it kind of difficult not to have all your eggs in one basket?

Last edited by paul on Tue May 01, 2012 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends but for most people it is pretty important and will drive the majority of traffic. You're bound to get examples of people making a living from Pinterest or Facebook or whatever, but for most, Google still represents the bulk of quality traffic.

If you're worried about the serps then I'd recommend:

a) using ppc to maintain traffic
b) optimise landing pages to convert as much as possible
c) do all you can to ensure the traffic sticks and becomes repeat
d) use this time to try and diversify traffic as much as poss/get back into the good books
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think anyone who does their business online and doesn't pay very close attention to Google isn't going to last for very long. Of course, this does put you in a very weak position, since you don't control Google, it controls you. So you need to mitigate the risk as much as possible by getting good rankings with other engines etc OR buying into Google even further - which of course is what they want, and that means working with Google+ in the future.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philb wrote:
working with Google+ in the future.

I refuse Evil or Very Mad Laughing
Philb
Vice President
Vice President

507 ants

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your business, your choice. ;)
DeniseTaylor
Secretary
Secretary

14 ants

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
isn't it kind of difficult not to have all your eggs in one basket?

This is true. But I look at it like a savings account. You have to keep plugging away taking measures to become independent, even if the time you have to devote to that is minimal.

It is too destructive when Google changes rules, to allow one's entire livelihood to go down the tubes at Google's whim.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running a fourm or even a popular blog is a good way to bring in traffic without G. Sure G can help to bring in some new members in the first place, but look at most of the people who've posted on this thread. Did you come in via G or because you already knew about this forum and decided to visit it?

OK, so how did we know about Aardvark in the first place? Probably via G. Times have changed. If you have a new site, then goodness knows how you'll make it take off unless you already have an established network that's been built up over the years. I for one wouldn't like to be starting out from scratch today.

That said, as someone who relied on G for many years, I'm regretting that I didn't shake off my G habit earlier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Internet Issues Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum