AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is SEO dead?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Is SEO dead? Reply with quote

The advice that seems to be coming out from Google after the Penguin and Panda updates is that we shouldn't be obsessing about rankings any longer. Instead, we should just purely focus on content and, if we make something that's good, then all will be well with Google.

Does this hold water?

And, if it does, is SEO essentially dead?
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest that's always been what Google's wanted isn't it? If you're doing things like link building with the pure aim of gaming the SERPS then it's risky. If you're link building to get traffic or build your brand then that's another thing and would seem much more sustainable (plus it diversifies your traffic sources).

I must say I've pretty much given up checking rankings. I still work with partner sites, I still try and create good content and so on but pretty much leave the search engines to figure themselves out.

There's a real risk of marketers forgetting what they exist to do, and that's provide great content/products/whatever for their customers. I mean take your holiday rental place. Dare say you're in a position now where you don't have to do a great deal of promotion because word of mouth is doing it for you?
DeniseTaylor
Secretary
Secretary

14 ants

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google is turning the world upside down lately. Quality content is a strong tool. It's better than nothing. Will it work 100% of the time? Well, there's a lot of competition out there, so it certainly puts the emphasis on being good at what you do, rather than who can get the most links.

Personally, I'm going with the quality content approach, something I always enjoyed more than anything else anyway.
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ignoring G's whims. They bring out some new change every five minutes. Then people run around trying to recover from Panda or Penguin or whatever, only to find that G has moved the goalposts yet again.

Better to concentrate on doing your own thing and accept any free traffic from G as a bonus, and definitely something that can't be relied on. It's not easy to change your mindset if you've been relying on G for years, but maybe it has to be done.

Anyway G isn't the only search engine. I believe that Bing is gaining popularity. Can't say I'm a great fan of Bing but I sure as heck ain't going to spend my online life kow towing to G and their changes.

SEO isn't necessarily dead. .It depends on how you do it and how much you want to believe what G says about it. G has always been down on over-SEOd sites (whatever that means). I think they just don't want people to game their SERPs. Why bother anyway, when G is the biggest culprit for spoiling their own search results in the first place by making searchers wade through all the stuff G makes money out of before they can get to the organic searches?
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not often I agree with you Kay, but this is one of those rare times Smile
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... and another 'hear, hear' from me.

The sooner there's healthier competition in search, the better. The way Google's going currently, maybe that'll come about sooner rather than later. Let's hope, eh? Wink
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having said that, their Knowledge Graph thing sounds like an interesting development.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Adi... that was a new one on me.

I've just got up to speed by reading:

http://googleblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/introducing-knowledge-graph-things-not.html

The video is worth watching, too.

There definitely look to be some good ideas/illustrations there - I guess the devil will be in the detail and how well Google achieves these aims. At the moment, there are some major flaws in Google search which makes me feel they are a long way from successfully achieving it effectively. Silly things like multiple results from the same domain and delivering spammy pages in the SERPs that have little or no content. I thought they'd resolved these issues years ago, but they seem to have returned with the latest Google updates.

Also, the references to Google being a knowledge engine remind me of the early days of Bing when they tried to convince us that Bing was a decision engine.

To be frank, I don't care what they call it, so long as it delivers decent and fair results (and preferably ones that favour our sites Wink).
Kay
President
President

4173 ants

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what is the point of this? Is it the thin end of the wedge? From what I understand, G is using open source content to provide 'answers' as well as search results. How long till they also start using your content too? And then if people get the answer from G, they won't have to visit your site, so you've missed out on the opportunity to monetise that traffic because G has kept it for themselves.

Where will this lead to? Blatant theft of your content which you worked so hard to create?

G says it's there to provide decent and fair results. But it's there to make money like any other business and it doesn't seem to care who it hurts in the process. And still people queue up to be their puppets. I used to be one but my aim now is to cut the strings. It'll be a tough thing to do, but you have to start somewhere.
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally empathise with what you're saying, Kay, and I think there's many other website owners who feel the same.

Quote:
And then if people get the answer from G, they won't have to visit your site...

|ndeed, and that's something that's being going on already, sadly.

Enter something like 'new york flights to seattle' and it'll try to take you directly to United, Delta, Alaska, etc. with its little flight widget. I think I've seen similar for hotels in the past. Whose to say it won't one day happen with retail? (and by that I mean the products being stocked/shipped by Google themselves).
martynh
Vice President
Vice President

419 ants

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: SEO Reply with quote

I've got the loy of driving traffic to my clients website - been a while since i did this
But I realised a long time ago that getting clever with Google was not a long term strategy and it clashed with my desire to only create quality.
In addition theres no way a client would let me loose if I utilised any shady SEO practices.

So applying the 80/20 rule, I can generate 80% of the possible conversions in 20% of possible time & effort spent doing it.
Thats what i do and teach my clients staff the principles so they can do it too instead of using the agency.
It happens as a routine every month, & means it takes little time, is easy to understand and covers all the bases.
No need to go near Google rules and waste time discussing all that.
Mat34
PA
PA

22 ants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEO is certainly not dead. It is still essential to optimise your site, but it needs to be done to comply with Google's rules now i.e. subtly.

I'd say blackhat SEO is alive and well but riskier than ever. I consider this to be things that harm other websites like hacking in to embed links, spamming forums and blogs etc...

Greyhat SEO is what most of us were doing and this is the part that is most definitely dead. It is simply not acceptable to buy links anymore because Google has gone through the different platforms and manually destroyed them (for example BMR blogposts or Pligg bookmarking sites).

Whitehat SEO is really the only way to go. Subtle but effective on-site optimisation and building links manually by providing something useful to the world i.e. links that actually get clicked.
anthonyzlinks
Temp

7 ants

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Seo is not dead Reply with quote

It is definitely not dead because let's consider the growth of google and the fact that their engine is strong than has been previous which is based completely on page rankings. SEO is still alive, maybe a little exploited.

Best regards,

Anthony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Web Marketing Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum