AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are Forums still relevant?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> General Chat Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drachsi
Executive PA
Executive PA

136 ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Are Forums still relevant? Reply with quote

Forums have been around for a long time, but with the growth of LinkedIn Groups are they still relevant?

As a LinkedIn member, I can make my details available to others, and benefit from links. Some Forums charge to put a link in a signature, and some never seem to allow one.

If you have free time, where do you spend the most time.

Drachsi
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're still relevant, but less popular.

I'm not sure that's down to LinkedIn Groups specifically, though. I think it's to do with social media as a whole... Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc... they all make demands on our online time, and so compete with the amount of time people are able to spend on forums.

If I have free time, I spend most of it either blogging or on Twitter (and, to a lesser extent, FB).
Epiphany
Secretary
Secretary

23 ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul wrote:
I think they're still relevant, but less popular.

Agreed!

I think a lot of people will always be happy in their "comfort zone". Yes, Linkedin perhaps provides a far better platform than the vast majority of forums, but many prefer the lure of forums.

I think another non-related example would be - "Why do people still buy newspapers when all the news you want is available online?"
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think all these things eventually find their own place/niche. I suspect also that a lot of forums have closed down with the growth of places like Facebook and Twitter, each competing for their online time. Fewer forums, of course (or at least fewer forums of any note) will mean that forum users have fewer places to go to, so that could help in some boards in some cases.
Arnoud
Secretary
Secretary

31 ants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Forums still relevant? Reply with quote

Drachsi wrote:
Forums have been around for a long time, but with the growth of LinkedIn Groups are they still relevant?

As a LinkedIn member, I can make my details available to others, and benefit from links. Some Forums charge to put a link in a signature, and some never seem to allow one.

If you have free time, where do you spend the most time.

Drachsi

Hi well I think forums become less and less popular. On Facebook groups the most of them are only used to put people's business opportunities without conversation. I notice here on Aardvarkbusiness less and less activities. I use some fora to keep in touch with people like Forumwarrior or sitepoint. Before joining a forum check whether people are active or not. replying.
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One big advantage forums still have is that Google et al can search them whereas everything in FB groups seems to be locked away. Same seems to apply to LinkedIn although of course there's always Google+ but that doesn't seem to do groups in the same way.

Trev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum