AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your VPN, Virtual Private Network experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Computing Issues Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Your VPN, Virtual Private Network experience Reply with quote

VPN, Virtual Private Network enables to create LAN, Local Area Network while all computers are not located in one place physically. Technically speaking, you can create VPN that connects computers in California and computers in New York. While the technology has been around for some time, checking bandwidth offered and what not, I wonder if it's a cost effective solution. Is anyone here using or used VPN before? If so, what's your experience?
Orion
Executive
Executive

242 ants

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of many companies here in Australia that use VPN over all sorts of connections, ISDN, ADSL, Frame Relay, etc etc. It can even be run over 56k connection. The specific amount of bandwidth and such you need will depend on what needs to be done with the connection, eg Remote Desktop, Terminal Services, PC Anyware or just file sharing.

It works very well, any business that has it implemented is operating it as almost a requirement of operating there business as they mainly use it to access a single central server.
TWI
Vice President
Vice President

438 ants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used it. There is a lot of 2x end-to-end traffic going on in the background which reduces effective bandwidth. However, when used on a sufficiently high-speed connection (i.e., at least satellite or DSL), it is very useable. Also, if you use IPsec, a fixed (public) ip address is typically required... meaning you can't use it behind a NAT router.

Here is a service that reportedly does not require a fixed ip, but I have no first-hand knowledge or experience with it.
Sonic
Executive PA
Executive PA

100 ants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi..

Ive just bought a new wireless draytek router, which is set up with my desktop, laptop and testing server. Ive not used VPN before, but its got some built in stuff that supports it which seems pretty cool. Id only use it so some of my mates could use my testing server (IIS, php, mysql, server 2003 ... ) instead of having to install it all on their machines, we're on DSL so it cant be to bad. Ive not got a clue how to set it up though Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Other Computing Issues Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum