AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Texas is one place to avoid?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Texas is one place to avoid? Reply with quote

I just learned that one of host companies in Texas has been entirely down since last Friday because of Hurricane Katrina (one of bigger ad networks rents servers there, and the network is down because of this). Data has not been lost, since the data center itself is intact; however, the data center will be down for the next 2 weeks in the worst case scenario. This is pretty bad (and I'm glad that I'm not using this host company). While I feel sorry for them, I would switch to a different company immediately if I had been using their service. This can happen again.

I think it's fair to guess that something like this can happen to any data center/host company located in US southwest (Florida, Louisiana, Texas, etc.). Should we avoid renting a server at any host company located in the region?
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got something of that size running, I'd have thought having a lot of mirrors of the system would be a good idea or at least some kind of backup system elsewhere in the country or even the world. Out of interest, which company is it that hosted with them?

I suspect the problem with moving is whether they own the equipment and thus that would be a major operation plus there'll be data needing moving and DNS updates, although that should be less than 2 weeks.

The one that worries me is Google in that they are based in a major earthquake zone and although they have centres around the world, a big earthquake in California could do quite a bit of logistical damage.

Trev
BernardErtl
President
President

11 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm... Texas is BIG. Datacenters located in San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, etc. are safe from hurricanes. It's just the Gulf coast that is vulnerable. That said, just about every state in the union is vulnerable to one form of natural disaster or another from flooding to tornadoes.
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction: This was a result of Hurricane Rita, not Katrina.
Trev wrote:
If you've got something of that size running, I'd have thought having a lot of mirrors of the system would be a good idea or at least some kind of backup system elsewhere in the country or even the world. Out of interest, which company is it that hosted with them?

Some host company in Port Arthur, Texas. I don't know exactly which one.
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BernardErtl wrote:
Umm... Texas is BIG. Datacenters located in San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, etc. are safe from hurricanes.

Did any of these cities suffer from kind of natural disaster that can do damage to data center?
BernardErtl
President
President

11 ants

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftas, I'm not sure what you are asking me. San Antonio has suffered large floods before. Dallas has been hit by floods and tornados. Austin has had very few natural disasters that I am aware of.
adigaskell
President
President

7099 ants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have thought that Link Vault would have had plenty of back up servers seeing as they're of a good size now.
adkins2
Executive PA
Executive PA

60 ants

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

BernardErtl wrote:
Umm... Texas is BIG. Datacenters located in San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, etc. are safe from hurricanes. It's just the Gulf coast that is vulnerable. That said, just about every state in the union is vulnerable to one form of natural disaster or another from flooding to tornadoes.

I agree!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Domains & Hosting Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum