AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine AardvarkBusiness.net - Business Search Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Insurance worker trips over pile of accident claim forms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Law & Insurance Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Insurance worker trips over pile of accident claim forms Reply with quote

An insurance worker from Fife has won compensation after she tripped and fell over a pile of accident claim forms.

Linda Riley reached an undisclosed out-of-court settlement after claiming 5,000 from her employer Norwich Union. Miss Riley, from Newburgh, said she had suffered pain and loss of earnings since falling while at work in the company's Perth office three years ago. The insurance underwriter tripped over files which had been left lying on the floor by another office worker. She claimed Norwich Union had a duty to provide a safe system of work and the untidy files presented a danger.

Miss Riley sued the company's parent group Aviva PLC in an action at Perth Sheriff Court and it was confirmed that her claim had been settled by the award of compensation. Miss Riley claimed that she was left with pain in her left ankle, lower leg and foot, and needed a course of physiotherapy. She said she was absent from work for a period and lost wages as a result, as well as still suffering from pain three years after the accident.

If it was April 1st, I'd be suspicious. Wink

Paul
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance worker trips over pile of accident claim forms Reply with quote

paul wrote:

If it was April 1st, I'd be suspicious. Wink

Paul

Since it's not, this is real?
paul
President
President

11706 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, according to the BBC at least.

Paul
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading news like this troubles me. Anyone can and will file lawsuit today, and the court actually takes it seriously. Then what? Both sides of lawyers charge hundreds of dollars per hour and take both sides of clients into deep deep debt. No one really wins except for lawyers. This needs to change ...
webitalia2005
Vice President
Vice President

324 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well let me say that this is really ridiculous,i hope that this kind of thing will never happen in europe,at least not as they happen in the states,otherwise whe will be having trials for people burning their lips for coffe that is too hot,or whe will be accused of sexual arrasment if whe ask our collegue to go take a drink!!this is really and only crazy.. Evil or Very Mad
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trials are terrible, but another thing is that the society is becoming a permission society. You always need permission. You always need to check compliance and what have you. If it's something you can handle on your own, then that's fine, but I feel like that getting attorney's service is becoming mandatory and that's pretty uncomfortable ...
Thais
President
President

0 ants

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can kinda sympathise with Ms Riley. Imagine being in your office, minding your own business, then walking round a desk & tripping over an unexpected pile of files that some nitwit has left on the floor!! She probably did get hurt quite badly, or she wouldn't have bothered to claim!

A couple of years ago, I fell off a chair at home - it was my fault, of course - and as a result of a silly fall, had plantar fasciitis for 6 months!! The pain in my foot was excruciating & there were days when I couldn' t walk at all. If that had been anyone else's fault, I'm not sure I wouldn't have sued as well Confused We can't really criticise when we don't know all the details.
foundThroughAdminSig
President
President

7611 ants

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thais wrote:
I can kinda sympathise with Ms Riley. Imagine being in your office, minding your own business, then walking round a desk & tripping over an unexpected pile of files that some nitwit has left on the floor!! She probably did get hurt quite badly, or she wouldn't have bothered to claim!

A couple of years ago, I fell off a chair at home - it was my fault, of course - and as a result of a silly fall, had plantar fasciitis for 6 months!! The pain in my foot was excruciating & there were days when I couldn' t walk at all. If that had been anyone else's fault, I'm not sure I wouldn't have sued as well Confused We can't really criticise when we don't know all the details.

I understand what you're saying, but there ought be a better solution than hiring a lawyer and suing.
jacobite
Secretary
Secretary

14 ants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rights vs. Responsibilities

I have the RIGHT to sue my employer because I fell over a pile of paperwork. OK that's all fine (if a little ironic, given that they were accident claims).

How about, I have the RESPONSIBILITY to look where I am going!

I know it doesn't cover all claims out there and there are genuine claimants, but when people are queueing up to make these sorts of claims for all sorts it is just plain ridiculous.

I even had someone turn up on my doorstep the other week, asking if I had ever had an accident, because if I had, they could assist me with my claim! Its bad enough having to watch advert after advert telling me about the bl***y things, but on my own doorstep? At tea-time? I should say no! (And did).

Anyways, that's my moan over, onto the next topic.
trev
President
President

4037 ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if she was wearing glasses as I find since wearing these all the time I keep running into things. It seems to remove any downward vision I've got so trip over things, walk into boxes and nearly fall off the pavement/sidewalk curb or don't adjust for a difference in height. Even slightly uneven paving stones on pavements are a hazard.

Most painful was turning at the top of the stairs and not seeing the low down chest - walked right into it and for some reason didn't have any shoes on that particular time....ouch!

Maybe we can all sue Specsavers? Wink

Trev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AardvarkBusiness.net Forum Index -> Law & Insurance Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Google

Business Forum Sport Forum Travel Forum